Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU suddenly hot!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 20, 2013 8:24:53 PM

Hey guys,

Been referring to this forum for a while now for answers but I can't seem to be able to find anything similar to my situation. I have a Phenom II X4 965BE on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 board. I never really understood why, but the gigabyte board defaults to vcore voltage of 1.475v, so i have been using 1.5v for my overclock of 4.0Ghz for the past two years. For cooling, I have both the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and the Corsair H80 on it (I have been changing back and forth to try to remedy this heat issue).

The problem is:

My temps have never exceeded 50 degrees on load, and idle's are in the very low 30's for the past two years. However, for the past week or so, I have been noticing that I idle around 43 degrees, and load reaches beyond 65 just after 5 minutes of prime95. I'm sure it would easily reach the 70's if I didn't bother stopping the stress tests prematurely.

I have tried the following basic quick fixes:

- reapplied thermal paste
- changed the cooler (from H80 to 212+ and back)
- reverted voltages back to stock
- undervolted (knocked down to 1.375v and still idles at 40 degrees for stock clocks)

I know that overclocking degrades the life of your cpu over time, but I did not think it would be this severe, especially since I had only overvolted one step in the BIOS (you can only change in increments of 0.025v). So my question is whether my cpu is dying, or if there is perhaps an issue with my motherboard.

Other things to note:

- for now, I am running the CPU at stock clocks with 1.4v, still idling at 40 degrees or so.
- I have tried three types of thermal paste
- I have tried different cpu coolers, made sure they were seated properly every time
- PSU is a Corsair HX850 which works perfectly fine (tried swapping it out with my main rig)
- I'm sure it's not an issue with airflow in the case, because all other components run at regular temps (gpu, HDD, etc.)
- after stress testing, the NB heatsink is unusually hot as well
- ambient temp is about 22 degress (computer is in the basement, which is the coldest place in the house)

Specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965BE
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Ram: Corsair vengeance low profile
Cooler: Corsair H80 / Cooler Master Hyper 212+
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7770
PSU: Corsair HX850 (overkill, but hehe)
HDD: Seagate 2TB
Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (with corsair AF120 fans)

Any help is appreciated guys, thanks!

Ryan

More about : cpu suddenly hot

a c 313 à CPUs
February 20, 2013 8:47:47 PM

That is strange... that it happened after working well for so long especially. I've built with several PhII X 965BEs and feel the processor is one solid tough CPU. I surely wouldn't think your O/C damaged it. But that seems to be the only logical explanation. I have never had to raise the voltage to get up to 3.8GHZ, which is as far as I've ever taken one. But I would think, like you, that returning to stock settings would return temps to normal.

For comparison: I have a Phenom II X6 1090T on my 2nd machine I'm playing with now. I have it O/C to 3.8GHZ with a little CM Hyper TX3 cooler. It idles at low 20s for all cores and peaks at low 50s for all cores after an hour of Prime95 as reported by Core Temp.

Have you followed proper cleaning/purifying of the surfaces before applying TIM? Have you tried TX-4 TIM? Sorry I don't have a better explanation, but it is something I will give some thought to. And follow the thread for answers from others.
m
l
February 21, 2013 3:39:36 AM

clutchc said:
Have you followed proper cleaning/purifying of the surfaces before applying TIM? Have you tried TX-4 TIM? Sorry I don't have a better explanation, but it is something I will give some thought to. And follow the thread for answers from others.

Yup, I've been using the thermal paste cleaning solution kit just to make sure...usually i use lighter fluid, but I decided to be proper this time :)  I've tried the stock thermal paste from the hyper 212+, Arctic Cooling MX-4, and the Antec Formula 6 Nano Diamond Compound. All of them seem to yield the same temperatures within a 3 or 4 degree margin.

Thanks for your input though! Lets me know that it's not something stupid that I must have overlooked. Hopefully someone else out there has an actual answer to this :( 
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2013 3:47:06 AM

It is almost certainly either your processor or motherboard. See if you can place your processor on a friend's system. Make sure it is a good friend. . . .
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2013 3:51:02 AM

Clutching at straws but how did you apply your paste? Seems the 'pea' method is favoured to avoid air bubbles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffK7L0Qj13Q
What about fan control software? Could be your fan not running faster as CPU warms...
m
l
February 21, 2013 6:37:53 AM

dodger46 said:
Clutching at straws but how did you apply your paste? Seems the 'pea' method is favoured to avoid air bubbles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffK7L0Qj13Q
What about fan control software? Could be your fan not running faster as CPU warms...

Yeah, pea method seems to have worked the best for me in the past years, so that's what I stick to. I'm a neat freak so I have after-market fans running on 12V because I don't like having fan cables coming off the motherboard :S

And I wish I had a friend who had an AM3+ rig, but they all have Intel :(  My main rig is an Intel too...so that's out of the question...

I am starting to lean towards it being a motherboard issue because of all the other parts of the motherboard heating up drastically compared to the past. I guess I'll be looking into new motherboards soon...

Thanks guys :) 
m
l
February 21, 2013 12:20:11 PM

dodger46 said:
Download and run Speedfan in case there's a prob with fan control?
http://download.cnet.com/SpeedFan/3000-2094_4-10067444....

I dont think running Speedfan will yield any data that I don't have from using hardware monitor, unless there is a diagnostic function in it I could try. Thanks for the feedback though! :) 
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 21, 2013 2:54:13 PM

Just can't understand how the CPU could overheat with everything in place and working....unless it's not and the heat sensor is giving a wrong reading! Snag is the system would shut down anyway, so you're back to replace mobo...
February 21, 2013 5:11:30 PM

dodger46 said:
Just can't understand how the CPU could overheat with everything in place and working....unless it's not and the heat sensor is giving a wrong reading! Snag is the system would shut down anyway, so you're back to replace mobo...

Yeah, it's been boggling my mind the entire time. Good to know someone else thinks the same as me. Thanks everyone!
m
l
February 21, 2013 5:13:23 PM

Best answer selected by hyunsukchang.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2013 8:07:39 PM

hyunsukchang said:
Best answer selected by hyunsukchang.

nCough, cough, so it was the motherboard, cough cough.
n
m
l
February 26, 2013 11:57:42 AM

babernet_1 said:
Cough, cough, so it was the motherboard, cough cough.

hehe sorry, i just found out giving best answers gives points or something. new to the whole system :) 

anyways, as an update:

turns out it wasn't my motherboard. went out to get another motherboard, and problem persisted. i ended up returning the motherboard, and am now waiting on another cpu that i ordered to see if it solves the problem.

Thanks for all your feedback, guys!
m
l
!