Cf'd 6950 fps dips

cbrunnem

Distinguished
so i just recently cf'ed 6950s paired with a i7 2600k at 4.6 and the problem is in bf3 i have major fps dips in large maps and small dips in small maps. gpu usage goes from 82ish to 99 percent. never maxes out at 100 for a prolonged time. memory usage is 1950mb as these are 1gb cards. so it appears i may be getting to the vram limit but that would be 2056....

any ideas? driver wise i uninstalled then used driveer sweeper. then installed both cards into system and installed drivers 12.6

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
Is that online or offline?

Either way you should expect dips as the game loads, more things are going on (explosions, more soldiers, etc). In online this will also be caused by internet lag from yourself as well as from other gamers.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
its online and its not internet lag i dont think because it didnt do this EVER before the second card. its on 64 player maps but ive never not played on 64 player maps so this is new. the dips arent from explosions either its when i pan around and spin around.

diec4st

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Pretty sure the problem is the fact that even if both cards each have 1gb of ram, you can only use a total of 1gb in CF. Try turning down some of the most memory taxing settings (shadows quality comes to mind, not sure about others) and you should see massive improvement.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

i know each card has 1gb and i expected them to run out of vram but afterburner is showing they are only using 1950mb or 975mb each. i know they do not add up to 2gb like that but thats how afterburner is showing it.

ill try what you said though but its weird because going from one to 2 cards the only thing i changed was AF and msaa. no textures or shadows or anything of that stuff.