Threnody1

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Hello! I have a little annoying problem with my PC - TV -combination. I recently bought a new TV, LG LG 42LS3400 (42'', FullHD). I intend to use my new TV as a duplicated computer monitor, but for some reason I haven't been able to for a connection between those two devices. My GPU (Powercolor AMD Radeon HD 6870) has a HDMI connector, so I linked those two with a HDMI cable. PC detects the TV but when I try to switch TV's input to HDMI, it gives me "no signal".

Few things I've tried:

- Reboot PC when HDMI when the cable is connected
- Adjust TV's resolution and refresh rate via GPU's software (AMD VISION Engine Control Center) to lower value
- Checked if both connectors are firmly plugged in
- Updated, unistalled & reinstalled graphics drivers
- Tried both of TV's HDMI connectors

Nothing of those have worked so far. I am running out of skill, so could somebody wiser give me some advices how I can get this piece up and running. My TV doesn't have a VGA or DVI connector so I really have no other options than HDMI link.

All help is highly appreciated! :) Someone could save my day by finding the solution to my problem!

Threnody1

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

I updated my video card drivers earlier today when the newest version was released. It didn't help. My TV has two HDMI ports, I've tried both of them and the TV automatically detects which port is in use. It doesn't even let me to switch to HDMI port 2 if the port#1 is currently in use.

Threnody1

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

I haven't tried any other HDMI cables. I intend to buy a longer HDMI cable, but I wouldn't really like to waste my money if it doesn't work.. But I think I have no choice but to buy one.

I haven't tried to connect any other devices to the HDTV because I have no other HDMI devices.

What do you think, would a DVI - HDMI adapter make any difference? It costs about 10$ and the image quality wouldn't be bad either.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The adapter wouldn't make a difference unless the HDMI port on your video card is defective. It would really affect video quality, but you would lose audio via the HDMI cable to the HDTV.

So, you don't have a HDMI cable box or Blu-Ray/DVD player, or XBox/PS3 you could attach to check it out?

If necessary, just borrow a cable to check it out (as a thought).

Threnody1

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

At least the HDMI port detects my TV, so I don't think that it is defective.

Oh yes, I just remembered that my laptop has a single HDMI port and I tried to plug it to the TV without results. The laptop couldn't even detect the TV. I think that the main reason to that kind of reaction is that I haven't updated its drivers in a while. Maybe I'll do it and see what happens.

I think that I have to borrow another cable from someone and try it. I'm afraid that it wouldn't make any difference.

Any tips or suggestions are warmly welcome, I want to get everything working :)

Threnody1

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

I really hope that it is the cable that is defected. I'll try another cable next week, maybe it does something. I'll keep you updated.

musso4

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
m having the same problem with mine and i dont know wat i can do cause the tv is brand new and so is the laptop and im geting a black screen and thats all untill i unplug the cord again