• Nvidia
  • AMD
  • Physx
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 3:52:41 PM

what would be some good cards to use for physx. also my primary card is AMD ?

More about : nvidia physx

a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 3:59:33 PM

BigMack70 said:
It would be easier to just sell your AMD card and buy an Nvidia one if you really want PhysX...

don't want a nvidia card for primary as i'm going to be doing eyefinity soon ?
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 4:26:50 PM

Nvidia drivers doesn't allows to use a primary AMD vga with a Nvidia vga for physx.
You don't have any feasible options (discarding here the option to use an old driver that allowed this combination by mistake).

- Need to choose.. keep the AMD card, or get the physx. Your call
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 4:29:51 PM

vitornob said:
Nvidia drivers doesn't allows to use a primary AMD vga with a Nvidia vga for physx.
You don't have any feasible options (discarding here the option to use an old driver that allowed this combination by mistake).

- Need to choose.. keep the AMD card, or get the physx. Your call

allows physx without having nvidia as a primary gpu

http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/17706-hybrid-physx-m...
Score
a c 148 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
August 16, 2012 4:36:41 PM

gamerkila57 said:
don't want a nvidia card for primary as i'm going to be doing eyefinity soon ?

what's the problem? are you going to use more than 3 monitor for gaming?
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 16, 2012 4:37:48 PM

You realize newest Nvidia cards support 4 monitors right?

As for physx card, I'd suggest looking at something like GT 440.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 4:40:44 PM

yes i know nvidia cards support 4 monitors but a HD 7970 would be better than any of them with 3x 1920x1080 monitors
Score
a c 148 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
August 16, 2012 4:45:55 PM

GTX680 able to handle 3 1080 monitor just fine
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 4:48:16 PM

renz496 said:
GTX680 able to handle 3 1080 monitor just fine

but it cost more than a HD 7970 GHz edition and performs a little less ?
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 4:52:04 PM

gamerkila57 said:
allows physx without having nvidia as a primary gpu

http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/17706-hybrid-physx-m...

Well, this is a mod that requires to use an old nvidia driver. And I clearly stated that I discarded this option.
Reasons: Due to some nice optimizations as Adaptative V-Sync and many tweaks done to new drivers I don't recommend it using this old mod.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 4:59:57 PM

vitornob said:
Well, this is a mod that requires to use an old nvidia driver. And I clearly stated that I discarded this option.
Reasons: Due to some nice optimizations as Adaptative V-Sync and many tweaks done to new drivers I don't recommend it using this old mod.

really don't care about adaptative v-sync or being a old driver
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 5:04:37 PM

BigMack70 said:
If you're set on the AMD + Nvidia hybrid PhysX setup, then you can pretty much pick any decent Nvidia card for PhysX. Personally, I'd pick up something like a GTX 560 SE for $130:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Pretty sure that Arkham City recommends at least a GTX 460 for the highest physX setting, and this should be roughly equivalent.

out of the question on that card ? o_O
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 5:07:08 PM

gamerkila57 said:
but it cost more than a HD 7970 GHz edition and performs a little less ?

Well, sadly you're thinking the wrong way.

If you really want 3 monitors + Physx (and accepts to use that old modded drivers) you have 2 options:

- Buy GTX680 and spend (roughly) US$ 500,00
- Buy 7970 Ghz Ed. + GTS 450 (or better Nvidia card) for Physx and spend (roughly) US$ 550,00

Don't even try to use Physx with a weaker card, tests have been done all this years and it's common knowledge that a low end card would actually hold on the performance, since the main card would need the physx card to process all the physx effects first.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 5:11:41 PM

BigMack70 said:
Why is that card out of the question? As stated above, if you're going to do this, you need something decent for the PhysX card or you won't notice a difference.

There's a reason that people are trying to convince you not to do this setup: it makes no sense. It makes no sense on any level unless you have made a decision on principle alone to use AMD graphics cards.

yes i'm set on an AMD card no changing that
Score
a c 148 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
August 16, 2012 5:13:36 PM

vitornob said:

does it really matter? his primary card still radeon. since the card are being used as dedicated physx hardware does it able to apply any nvidia enhancement to the game when the game primarily being rendered by amd card? i think the only thing he will be miss out is new physx driver since the mod based on old driver. the drawback is if (only if) there are any games out there that will only work with latest physx driver then the dedicated hardware will lose its purpose entirely.
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 16, 2012 5:16:03 PM

It's pretty weak and old :) .
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 5:19:32 PM

gamerkila57 said:
really don't care about adaptative v-sync or being a old driver

You should care, old drivers have flaws, and underperforms in many situations.
And I read that link you sent. That mod doesn't work with newer physx packages is that right? If this is right so you wouldn't be allowed to play newer physx games, and this will make your approuch to this matter useless.

And an exclusive 9800GT for physx doesn't cut. I will try to find an article that as conclusion they saw that a GTS 450 is a minimum for an exclusive physx card.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 5:21:41 PM

ok decided to no go down the physx road and just do eyefinity alone ?
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 5:24:00 PM

Well, if you won't fall back from the AMD card I can't help you.
My only advice is, try to find if a friend have a GTS 450 or better card. And try it first in your system.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 5:26:49 PM

BigMack70 said:
Also something to consider:
On a single 7970, at multi-monitor resolution, your framerate is going to be low enough that running PhysX on the CPU may not have much of a negative impact on your framerate.

Just run the PhysX off the CPU IMO.

Sadly Nvidia capped down Physx Performance under CPU (just to make people buy Nvidia cards). Doesn't cut too.
And I really don't know if the FX-4100 is capable of driving a 7970 + CPU physx. Cpu physx are really tough (just check some physics calculations under gpu / cpu comparative).
Score
a c 148 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
August 16, 2012 5:32:13 PM

honestly i think it was a bad idea to off load the physx load to cpu. but then again not all physx were accelerated by gpu.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 5:33:17 PM

gamerkila57 said:
ok decided to no go down the physx road and just do eyefinity alone ?

I'm afraid this is the better option. You won't lose a lot without physx (big loss only if you plays batman, or want to play the new borderlands 2).
Just be sure that you want to get some low bezel monitors. Or buy the nice 42LM7600 from LG. This would be an awesome acquisition for multiple displays

Score
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 5:34:35 PM

Best answer selected by gamerkila57.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 5:36:17 PM

vitornob said:
I'm afraid this is the better option. You won't lose a lot without physx (big loss only if you plays batman, or want to play the new borderlands 2).
Just be sure that you want to get some low bezel monitors. Or buy the nice 42LM7600 from LG. This would be an awesome acquisition for multiple displays

http://www.getprice.com.au/images/uploadimg/Bimg42LM7600.jpg

batman ac is one of my favs love that game
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
a c 173 Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
August 16, 2012 6:58:01 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!