bobbo

first of all , im slightly computer-stupid. i bought a
hewlett packard that came with "windows xp home" already
installed (no disc came with this - oh boy!). eventually,
my comp pooped itself. since i have no boot disc, i go to
my university library and pick up a copy of "windows xp
pro" (they didnt have "home"). i took it home and followed
all the steps it says to follow.

and now for the past 3 months i havent been able to change
my screen resolution or hear sound. my device manager has
some "other devices" listed. those are the "multimedia
audio controller, sm bus controller, and video controller
(vga compatible)". all of these say "The drivers for this
device are not installed. (Code 28)"
---i ASSUME my problems stem from the "missing
drivers" ??????

System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 05
System Model: DB215A-ABA 563w
System Type: X86-based PC
.....i have no idea what drivers i need or where to get
them from.....someone help, please?

an email response would be preferable since i will forget
that i posted here...

You should be able to get them from www.hp.com

Graphics drivers are the first on the page:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwareList.jhtml?reg=&cc=us&prodId=hppavilion242024&lc=en&plc=&softitem=Microsoft%20Windows%20XP&sw_lang=en&pagetype=software

Specs of your PC state it's a standard AC97 audio.... but since there's no
indication on HP's website as to exactly what motherboard is in this PC, I
have no idea where you should go for the motherboard drivers that would
support both the AC97 and the SM Bus Controller.

You're either going to have to call HP on the phone and ask or google around
and see if you can find out what motherboard you have in there.

Cari
www.coribright.com

"bobbo" <robmatday@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> first of all , im slightly computer-stupid. i bought a
> hewlett packard that came with "windows xp home" already
> installed (no disc came with this - oh boy!). eventually,
> my comp pooped itself. since i have no boot disc, i go to
> my university library and pick up a copy of "windows xp
> pro" (they didnt have "home"). i took it home and followed
> all the steps it says to follow.
>
> and now for the past 3 months i havent been able to change
> my screen resolution or hear sound. my device manager has
> some "other devices" listed. those are the "multimedia
> audio controller, sm bus controller, and video controller
> (vga compatible)". all of these say "The drivers for this
> device are not installed. (Code 28)"
> ---i ASSUME my problems stem from the "missing
> drivers" ??????
>
> System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 05
> System Model: DB215A-ABA 563w
> System Type: X86-based PC
> ....i have no idea what drivers i need or where to get
> them from.....someone help, please?
>
> an email response would be preferable since i will forget
> that i posted here...

Hello
HP computers that come with factory installed Windows XP do not come with
restore disks,(you can get some from HP, some models allow you to make
copies from Backup in the Programs)

HP installs the restore files on a hidden partition located on the hard
drive, Boot the computer at the Blue HP logo screen start tapping the F10
key, that should take you to the restore partition.

--
Hope This Helps
Haus