Would a GTX 660 Ti be bottlenecked by this system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

professormoobsicle

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Would a GTX 660 Ti be bottlenecked by this system?

ASRock 870 Extreme 3
AMD Phenom II X4 955
8 GB RAM DDR3 1333
MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti (Which I want to replace)
8 GB DDR3 RAM
650 watt power supply

Solution

You're going to get a lot of different opinions on this. I'm going to say absolutely yes. My 5870 1GB card is somewhat bottlenecked by that same CPU and mine is overclocked to 3.5Ghz. You can put a 660Ti in it, but your performance gains won't be as good as they could be. For $300 you're not going to see a significant upgrade.

Personally I'd recommend saving until you can upgrade to an i5 CPU along with a GPU upgrade.

For reference my current PC

AMD Penom II X4 955 BE @ 3.5Ghz
8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
Sapphire 1GB 5870

Some of it will depend on the game/settings. I...

ncasolo

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

You're going to get a lot of different opinions on this. I'm going to say absolutely yes. My 5870 1GB card is somewhat bottlenecked by that same CPU and mine is overclocked to 3.5Ghz. You can put a 660Ti in it, but your performance gains won't be as good as they could be. For $300 you're not going to see a significant upgrade.

Personally I'd recommend saving until you can upgrade to an i5 CPU along with a GPU upgrade.

For reference my current PC

AMD Penom II X4 955 BE @ 3.5Ghz
8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
Sapphire 1GB 5870

Some of it will depend on the game/settings. I know iRacing, which is what I primarily play, demands a good deal of CPU performance. Maybe you can find some gaming benchmarks for CPUs to determine how they affect FPS and go from there.

Solution

ncasolo

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

For the record I just upgraded. Well I didn't upgrade I actually built a brand new system. I spent $1000. The highlights are

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard
Intel i5 3570K CPU
HIS IceQ Turbo 7950

I find when the motherboard and CPU need to be upgraded to make a GPU upgrade worthwhile that it seems like a new PC is a good idea at that point.

G

Okay, what do people mean by the term "bottlenecked?"

I'm looking at your setup, and I see that you want to swap out your GTX-560Ti for a GTX-660Ti, and all I'm thinking is "yeah, go do it!" but what do people mean when they ask if this "part" will be bottlenecked by their system?

ncasolo

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Let's pretend he's getting 20FPS right now in BF3. If he upgrades to a 660 Ti he might get 22fps or 23fps because his CPU isn't powerful enough. You could put the most badass GPU in an old PentiumII PC and you're not going to get 60fps.

The question he's asking is will I be able to use the 660Ti to its full potential or will I only use about 70% of what it is capable of because my CPU can't do any better. FPS isn't just about what graphics card you have. Everything plays a part in that to a certain degree and on certain games it plays a bigger or lesser part. It really depends on the game.

ncasolo

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

x6 overclocked and a 955 (Not BE?) are not the same chip. That's at least 1 maybe 2 tiers on Tom's chart.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

1 tier and if you add the overclock then 2 tiers.

ncasolo

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Fair points, but I would again say it is still specific to the game(s) in question to a certain degree. The sim/game I referrenced is a racing simulator and the performance difference between a 965 BE overclocked and a first generation i5 chip overclocked were measurable (more than 10%). Ok ok that's just CPUs.

When you start swapping GPUs (1GB 5870 vs. 2GB 5970) there was a negligible performance increase in the different GPUs. I wish I still had the threads with all the benchmarks, but the small company that did all the benchmarks went belly up and disappeared.

Like I said in my first post people aren't going to agree on this for sure. It really is going to depend a little bit on the game(s) in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.