Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HI! and please, critique my MEP Workstation!

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 8, 2012 2:03:02 AM

Hi guys!

I've been lurking for a while and decided to jump in after doing my first build...ever!

Is up and running but I would love to get your feedback, hope you guys don't mind to give some!

I'm changing jobs and at my new job I'll basically be the one responsible to have my hardware and software properly running, within a budget of course. That being said, I had 1500 USD to have my new hardware.

Taking in consideration that Autocad MEP is my main tool, this is what I did:

Processor:
Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K

Motherboard:
Intel Desktop Motherboard LGA1155 DDR3 1600 ATX - BOXDZ77GA-70K

Boot&Software Launch Drive:
OCZ Technology 90GB Agility 3 Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5-Inch Midrange Performance Solid State Drive (SSD)

Storage Drive:
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB

Graphics Card:
NVIDIA Quadro 2000 by PNY 1GB GDDR5

Ram:
2 x Kingston Technology HyperX Blu 2 GB 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM KHX1600C9AD3B1/2G

Power:
Thermaltake Power Supply 240-Pin 530 Power Supply SP-530P

DVD Drive:
Lite-On Super AllWrite 24X SATA DVD+/-RW

Case:
Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z No PS Mid Tower Gaming Case + and extra 120 mm intake fan.

Monitors:
2 x Acer S201HL 20-Inch Widescreen

Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (Full) System Builder

Total: $1715.20 (it was a bit over the budget but thankfully acceptable)

Some decision making points on my build:
- I wanted a mid range CAD specific graphic card, regardless all I read about is not a must.
- I needed to run a 32 bit system to properly use a software that only communicates with MEP on that platform. During the build someone told that I could install both softwares in the 32 version on a windows 64 and they would work just fine....I just didn't want to take any risk.
- Space wasn't really needed, I'll be working on two (max three) projects at the same time on the workstation and then upload everything to the servers.

I got a 7.0 Windows Rate (I have the screen pic, I'll post it on Wednesday when I get back to the office) and so far (1 week) is working great!

I read and already did some tweaking to protect my SSD... and I'm having some doubts on other configurations, bios, overclocking...but that can wait....I'll probably bring to you those in other thread! :) 

Thank you guys!

More about : critique mep workstation

Best solution

October 8, 2012 3:33:48 PM

Wouldn't drastically disagree, with anything there, although the Agility 3 is pretty rubbish. Would have prefered Samsung 830, or Crucial M4, even OCZ's Vertex 4. Thermaltake PSU and Intel mobo, wouldn't have been my first choice, but OK (sort of).
Quadro 2000 is fine, for what you are doing, as long as you don't want to game, with it.
The one area, I see being a possible issue, is that some design work is fairly memory intensive, and you are limited to 4GB, by 32bit Windows. Somewhere "down the line", you may have to find a way to resolve that, depending on what work you are doing.
October 8, 2012 3:47:18 PM

Autocad and 4G of ram.
Face plants to keyboard now.

Might as well go play Crisis on a smart phone.
m
l
October 8, 2012 4:24:13 PM

^Yeah, that's the biggest issue. I'd like to see at least 8gb of RAM, and preferably 16.
m
l
October 8, 2012 9:39:06 PM

malbluff said:
Wouldn't drastically disagree, with anything there, although the Agility 3 is pretty rubbish. Would have prefered Samsung 830, or Crucial M4, even OCZ's Vertex 4. Thermaltake PSU and Intel mobo, wouldn't have been my first choice, but OK (sort of).
Quadro 2000 is fine, for what you are doing, as long as you don't want to game, with it.
The one area, I see being a possible issue, is that some design work is fairly memory intensive, and you are limited to 4GB, by 32bit Windows. Somewhere "down the line", you may have to find a way to resolve that, depending on what work you are doing.

Thanks malbluff!

Yes, I really need to do a research on softwares that allow me to do the same I do but on 64 bit to solve the 4GB issue, I just needed to be working asap....I was on 32 bit at my old job too, so, I already know a bit on how much I can push the MEP on this platform :( 

game at the office....I don't think so hehe

the SSD was a last minute add to the build and I was already over the budget so...

Thermaltake PSU and Intel mobo not the first choice?...please, why not?

daship, kajabla....thanks to you guys too.
m
l
October 9, 2012 9:27:32 AM

Nothing DRASTICALLY wrong with Intel, for mobo, and Thermaltake for PSU. Just that, for mobo, Asus are better quality, and Gigabyte are probably better value, than Intel. It's that, personally, I would pick one of those, depending on my priorities, for a business machine, before Intel. On PSU, I feel that any of Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, Antec, or PC Power&Cooling, have similar advantages, over Thermaltake, in either quality, or reliability, or both.
m
l
October 10, 2012 8:48:24 PM

Best answer selected by martinsillo.
m
l
October 10, 2012 8:55:35 PM

thanks!
and here are my results:

Processor: 7.5
Memory (RAM): 7.5
Graphics: 7.0