GTX 460 - Very high temps

I have recently started checking my GPU temps and they are really high. When playing games like WoW and LoL for example it even reaches 75°C from time to time. Most of the times it stays between 60 to 70°C. But when playing games battlefield 3 and skyrim for example it has gone up 99°C before. The fan is set to 70%, which is the cap. I contacted Zotac about this, my card is a Zotac GTX460 1GB DDR5, and they said I shouldn't be worried as long as it doesn't reach over 105°C. But from what I've read on forums and such these temps are way to high. My temps while idle are fine, between 30-40°C.

My case has a good airflow.

Any advice on what else I could do? Should I take the fan and such off to give it a proper cleaning? I've never taken parts of a GPU before so I'm a bit hesitant to do this.
9 answers Last reply
More about high temps
  1. Hayashi2705 said:
    The fan is set to 70%, which is the cap.

Explain this to me, cause i don't get that.

What are you using to set the fan speed?
  2. I'm guessing your GPU's heatsink is chock full of dust...
    Pull the 460 out... take off the plastic shroud/fan and vacuum that crap out of there.
    If you feel extra handy you could also get a high quality thermal paste and replace the stock paste on the GPU/heatsink interface.
  3. try cleaning the heatsink first. if it does not help then replace the thermal paste. if you don't know how to do it try to google about it. there tons of guide out there some even post step by step guide in video to show to do it properly
  4. grifinas said:
    Explain this to me, cause i don't get that.

What are you using to set the fan speed?

Nvidia control panel

And to the others, I'll take the fan off and such and clean it in a bit and see what effect that gives before i go around replacing the thermal paste.
  5. Opened it up and cleaned it as much as possible, but sadly my temps only dropped by like 5°. Haven't had the time yet to check the difference on a heavy game though. That will have to wait till tomorrow.
  6. Still getting temps up to 90°. I guess there is not much more I can do.
  7. Daft question i know but is the fan on the card still running?
  8. did you already replace the thermal paste?
  9. danta007 said:
    Daft question i know but is the fan on the card still running?

yep, still running :P.

@renz: Not yet, I guess I'll do that next.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards World Of Warcraft Graphics