Sign in with
Your question

Question about Macbook Plugs

Last response: in Components
February 20, 2013 11:29:06 PM

Hello. I just purchased 2 studio monitors for producing. I have a audio interface connected from my firewire plug on my 15 inch mabook pro, which are going out to my speakers. Thats all fine, but whenever I plug in my thunderbolt to hdmi adapter going to my other computer screen, it makes a really annoying buzzing sound. I can like hear all the buzzing and sounds inside my computer hard drive or something, its weird. Does anyone know why this is happening?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Zach

More about : question macbook plugs

February 20, 2013 11:31:39 PM

Are the computer, studio monitors, other display, etc, all plugged into the same outlet? Sometimes you get a ground loop with audio stuff not all plugged into the same outlet.
m
l
February 21, 2013 3:18:56 AM

i just tried that and its still doing it.
m
l
February 21, 2013 11:56:04 AM

Then your devices are not grounded equally/properly, allowing unwanted current to flow. Assuming your speakers are being driven via an analogue link from the audio interface, your options would be to opto-isolate your audio feed from the rest of the system (use an optical cable from the audio interface and an additional DAC which is then connected to your speakers) or, more practically, perhaps try a ground-loop isolator and see if that makes a difference.

You could also try acquiring a different thunderbolt-to-hdmi adapter. Do you have a way of connecting that display without thunderbolt? (i.e. using a different port?)
m
l
!