Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Question about Canon PowerShot A70 Camera

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 11:37:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

Does anyone know if it's possible to alter the filename the camera
thinks was the last one taken?

I found there's a way to reset the counter, but I want to be able to
set it to a specific number and start counting from there.

Is this possible? If so - how? THanks.
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 10:56:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

On 20 Jun 2005 19:37:53 -0700, "Joe Siegler" <dopefish@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Does anyone know if it's possible to alter the filename the camera
>thinks was the last one taken?

Yes.

>
>I found there's a way to reset the counter, but I want to be able to
>set it to a specific number and start counting from there.

If my memory severs correctly having the camera reset the count is the
1st step.

>Is this possible?

Yes,

> If so - how? THanks.

Again, if memory serves correctly here is what you need to do:

1> Program your A70 to reset the picture counter.
2> Reformat the card in the "CAMERA".
3> Take 1 picture which should now be picture #1 (IMG_0001).
4> Undo step #1 so that the camera will "not" restart the count when
the memory card is changed or reformatted in-camera (default setting).
5> Place the card is a card reader/writer attached to a PC & look at
"all" of the files on the card. There will be 2 folder named "DCIM" &
a sub folder named "100CANON" with a single picture in it called
"IMG_0001"
6> You should also see a folder called "CANONMSC", within that folder
will be 1 or 2 other files, 1 should be called 100.CTG & if there is
another it too will also end in ".CTG". Here is where I am not 100%
certain so you may have to try this 2 ways.
7> Rename the picture to the 1 less than picture number you want the
camera to begin numbering future pictures. For example, if you want
to start at 530, than rename the picture to "IMG_0529".
8> Rename the folder to correspond to it, which in this case would be
"105CANON" because each folder holds 100 pictures. The 1st created
folder would hold IMG_0001 to IMG_0100, the next folder would hold
IMG_0101 to IMG_0200 & etc.
9> Rename the file named "100.CTG to 105.CTG in this case.
10> Delete any & all other files on the card including the other
".CTG" if there is 1.
11> Now put the card back in the A70 & take a picture. If all went
well the 2nd picture should now be numbered "IMG_530" & you are done.

If all did not go well you may have to repeat most of these
steps but delete both ".CTG" files & let the camera deal with creating
them which it will do as soon as the camera is powered on. So "do
not" reformat the memory card in the camera until after the camera has
begun to number the pictures beginning from where you wanted them to
start.

If I have remembered all of this correctly, your on your way,
if not, sorry but I have done my best to recall how I had to deal with
the problem I created when I shared a CF card from my DSLR with a
fairly new P&S camera & noticed that the count on the new camera
jumped from less that 200 to over 7600. After that I learned to
always delete everything off the card in my PC connected reader/writer
before using the card in another camera.

Live & learn, it was such a frustrating pain in the backside
that I have never forgotten & made that mistake again.

Best of luck, I wish there were a simpler resolve but if there
is, I don't know it & if somebody does, I too would love to know it.

Respectfully, DHB


..


"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President,
or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong,
is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:46:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

> On 20 Jun 2005 19:37:53 -0700, "Joe Siegler" <dopefish@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know if it's possible to alter the filename the camera
> >thinks was the last one taken?
>
> Yes.
>
> >
> >I found there's a way to reset the counter, but I want to be able to
> >set it to a specific number and start counting from there.
>
> If my memory severs correctly having the camera reset the count is the
> 1st step.
>
> >Is this possible?
>
> Yes,
>
> > If so - how? THanks.
>
> Again, if memory serves correctly here is what you need to do:
>
> 1> Program your A70 to reset the picture counter.
> 2> Reformat the card in the "CAMERA".
> 3> Take 1 picture which should now be picture #1 (IMG_0001).
> 4> Undo step #1 so that the camera will "not" restart the count when
> the memory card is changed or reformatted in-camera (default setting).
> 5> Place the card is a card reader/writer attached to a PC & look at
> "all" of the files on the card. There will be 2 folder named "DCIM" &
> a sub folder named "100CANON" with a single picture in it called
> "IMG_0001"
> 6> You should also see a folder called "CANONMSC", within that folder
> will be 1 or 2 other files, 1 should be called 100.CTG & if there is
> another it too will also end in ".CTG". Here is where I am not 100%
> certain so you may have to try this 2 ways.
> 7> Rename the picture to the 1 less than picture number you want the
> camera to begin numbering future pictures. For example, if you want
> to start at 530, than rename the picture to "IMG_0529".
> 8> Rename the folder to correspond to it, which in this case would be
> "105CANON" because each folder holds 100 pictures. The 1st created
> folder would hold IMG_0001 to IMG_0100, the next folder would hold
> IMG_0101 to IMG_0200 & etc.
> 9> Rename the file named "100.CTG to 105.CTG in this case.
> 10> Delete any & all other files on the card including the other
> ".CTG" if there is 1.
> 11> Now put the card back in the A70 & take a picture. If all went
> well the 2nd picture should now be numbered "IMG_530" & you are done.

This worked perfectly! Thanks!

Joe Siegler
!