Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Multible Connections with Wireless LAN without Networking

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 9, 2011 6:20:32 AM

what I want to do is setup a Tablet for use and share my one Internet connection with it and my desktop. I do not want the desktop and the Tablet networked with each other. there is a Tablet on Newegg: Velocity Micro Cruz Reader R103. the details say it's communication is 802.11b/g Wireless LAN. so I copy and paste that on Newegg and get: D-Link DIR-601 Wireless Broadband Router. not sure if that's what i need or what the configuration would be but I kind of know how to set it up.

my question is can I connect a Desktop and a Tablet or any PC device to a router like this with out networking the individual units with each other? just to where it serves as more a splitter. is there any wireless alternatives to only "split" the Internet connection and not network the desktop and Tablet?

thank you very much, erl
November 10, 2011 1:16:33 PM

You are a bit confused about your "networking". Once you have 2 devices on the same router/switch to share a connection, they are networked. Any reason why you don't want them networked?

To share the internet connection between several devices, get a Router, and connect it to the modem from your ISP, your devices then connect to the router to get their IP addresses and for wireless.

Best solution

November 10, 2011 2:12:29 PM

Hmm, sounds like the OP is perhaps just interested in making sure neither device can access the other, yet each can still have internet access.

In most instances, the fact both devices are "networked" (i.e., have the potential to communicate w/ each other) doesn't necessarily mean they can/will communicate. By default, both your PC and tablet are not going share files/folder, access services, etc., unless you specifically permit it. Esp. if they’re using local firewalls (common).

But if you’re still interested in something more proactive, one option that some routers provide for wireless is called "AP Isolation". What this does is prevent wireless users from accessing each other on the network. Doesn't prevent them from accessing wired devices, but will "isolate" wireless users from each other. So if you're only using or concerned about wireless devices, that may be a workable solution for you. In fact, sometimes ppl inadvertently turn this feature ON, and then are puzzled why they can’t access shared files and printers on other wireless devices!

If you also want similar separation for wired devices, then you need a more sophisticated router (to be precise, the switch part of the router) that can create VLANs, which are "virtual switches", each unable to communicate w/ the other, but all would still have internet access. Probably overkill for your needs, but that's what you'd typically do.

November 20, 2011 3:21:36 AM

Best answer selected by erly_Cuylers.
!