Asus Custom Problems

kevalin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I recently bought an Asus prebuilt, seller-refurbished computer for my folks.

The specs:

Intel Pentium D 3.4GHz CPU
2GB DDR2 RAM
160GB Hard Drive inside a ICY DOCK Bodyguard 525
ASUS Dual Layer 24x DVD Burner drive
3.5 floppy drive
nVIDIA Geforce 7300 LE graphics card
ASUS ViXS PureTV (ATSC/NTSC) tuner video capture card
Intel Gigabit LAN
56k modem
8ch High Definition onboard sound

Also has 1 80mm fan in front and 2 60mm fans in back of the case; Plus 2 40mm fans inside the ICY DOCK for the hard drive, which is installed inside the ICY DOCK on 4 silicone rubber mounts.

As you can see, it's not a new computer, but I bought it because my folks (in their 70's and 80's) are used to XP and have never used more than 10GB of space on the HDD on their old computer.

When I got the computer (with its 30-day warranty), it ran as loud as a diesel truck. I could literally hear it in the next room. Finally (and breaking the warranty), I opened it up.

The CPU fan, the standard Intel fan, was running very loudly. Went into the BIOS an defaulted everything, but it didn't help. So I bought a Thermaltake heatsink and fan that is supposed to fit an LGA775 Mobo.

After basically taking the computer apart, replacing the fan and putting everything back together, I've run into the following problems:

First, the computer booted up went fully into Windows--then, after a minute or two, it suddenly shut down. This happened a couple of times.

On the third restart, I got the following message: "No IDE master H.D.D. detected. Press F1 to resume." Pressed F1, and it booted back into Windows and stayed on, no apparent problem... but my usb wasn't working, so I turned the computer off and back on.

Now, the computer turns on, but it can't detect the screen, though I've made no other changes... then after a few minutes, the computer again shuts itself down.

Anyone have any idea what's happening? Unfortunately, without the screen I can't check to see if the cpu is overheating for some reason, and everything is supposed to be refurbished... but now I'm beginning to wonder.

Solution
Hmm whats the model # of the cpu cooler and mobo? Kinda want to look into this, sounds interesting :)

Anywho if you want a cheap cooler you could look into a Cooler Master 212+ (Or 212EVO, they are basically the same thing, the evos a bit newer)

If the case does not support a 212+/EVO you might look at the TX3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064

But be aware, some users (myself included) have found that the EVOs fan is a bit noisy >60% the 212+ uses a quieter fan. I am suggesting tower coolers because its less likely to get in the way of anything on the board if it is indeed using a non standardized motherboard placement.

kevalin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Hi, morbious,

The case is open; I haven't had the chance to close it, as I was testing everything before closing it up.

I am beginning to wonder if, despite the new fan, the CPU is overheating, because the computer started up fine after it was off for a bit.

Interestingly, when I turned it off and plugged in the set of wires that lead to the second usb slot on the Icy Dock HDD holder, then restarted the computer, I again got the Ide master HDD not found message. When I disconnected those wires and restarted the computer, it started up fine again, but abruptly shut down a minute or two after it booted into Windows .

I also had the Tv card out; after unplugging the secong usb, I put the card back in its slot and restarted the computer. It again bootrd up fine., and then shut down less than a minute after the computer booted into Windows.

The new fan seems to run fine, and I made sure to thermal paste the CPU, but I can't think of what else could be causing this problem, since the computer was fine before I replaced the noisy fan...

also on the older intel cpu slots when breaking the old heat sink off you can sometime pull the cpu up out of the slot without knowing it. also have you made sure that when your working on the pc that you unplugged it from the wall?? most pc dont turn off light a light bulb and you can short out parts by leaving the power supply plugged in and trying to work on a pc.
as for the cpu walk..care fully unlock the cpu lift the holder up and then slight press down on the cpu and see if it moves down. then put the arm back and lock the cpu down.

kevalin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
The problem is simple and insupperable: this heatsink, which the all the sales pages insist work on this motherboard, DOESN'T FIT. It's so wide that it's actually crunching on top of other parts of the mobo, leaving no way for it to fit snugly atop the CPU.

I am beyond annoyed by this; I operated and purchased this POS on the assumption that Thermaltake's assurances were more than sales copy. The only saving grace is that the damned thing wasn't too expensive since it's from several generations back. I'm just going to have to reinstall the old, noisy fan and keep searching for something that actually fits and will run somewhat more quietly than this Intel diesel engine that's calling itself a cooling fan.

Hmm whats the model # of the cpu cooler and mobo? Kinda want to look into this, sounds interesting :)

Anywho if you want a cheap cooler you could look into a Cooler Master 212+ (Or 212EVO, they are basically the same thing, the evos a bit newer)

If the case does not support a 212+/EVO you might look at the TX3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064

But be aware, some users (myself included) have found that the EVOs fan is a bit noisy >60% the 212+ uses a quieter fan. I am suggesting tower coolers because its less likely to get in the way of anything on the board if it is indeed using a non standardized motherboard placement.

Solution
to the op.if the intel heat sink is holding the fan down with 4 black screws..then you can replace just the fan..dont know why the store said you cant. for the old heat sink if it says intel call them up and see if they send you a new cpu cooler. the coolor on the old 775 chipset are these type.
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/5271407203750852583?q=intel%20775%20heatsink&hl=en&site=imghp&start=20&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=c97fe10017471cdc&biw=1680&bih=905&tch=1&ech=1&psi=p_1zUOLtFtOt0AH0hoDoDQ.1349778853224.5&sa=X&ei=xv1zUPK_LOy20QHwyICQCw&ved=0CHcQ8wIwBDgU

not the 1155/1156 cpu coolers.

kevalin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Hi--no, the original (I assume) fan and heatsink doesn't screw in' it's one of the ones with the "push and click" holders. Considering how old the computer is and the very low-power use it will get, since it's for my 78 year-old mother, this is okay. Indeed, the push and click is much easier to handle than dealing with taking the whole mess out of the computer, as I had to do with the Thermaltake. Twice.

Just got what I THOUGHT was a stock intel cooler from Amazon--only to find that they've sent me the same damn Thermaltake fan that doesn't fit. Obviously, I'll be sending it back, so I'll look into your and mouse24's suggestions for the cooler master.

Model numbers: on the stock fan and heatsink: I'm not sure, as I closed it back into the computer, where it's making even more noise than it was; I do believe a bearing or something is giving out. I told my mom, "If the computer suddenly starts running quietly, TURN IT OFF!" :D

The Thermaltake model number is a CL=P0497.