HELP! home LAN woes.

G

my new PC (Athlon 1.2ghz, Asus A7V133 mb) doesn't like my peer to peer LAN... he can see them. they can see him. but they can't access him and he can't access them (the older 4 PCs still communicate fine). "the device does not exists on the network" is the most common error.
they (5 PCs) are in the same workgroup. all PCs have win98. all protocols (ipx/spx, tcp/ip, netbeui) & clients (MS & Novell) are installed , file & printer sharing is enabled, all drives have FULL read & write rights. subnet mask for all is 255.255.255.0, IP addresses are 192.168.0.X (X=number between 1-7). I tried dynamic IP (on the athlon) and it still didn't work
I tried moving the NIC (they ALL use 3com 10/100 NICs, either 905s or 450s) to a diff PCI slot, same thing. I swapped the NIC, same thing. even tried swapping utp cables & tried another hub to no resolve. even tried removing & re-installing tcp/ip & verifying IP addresses. nothing. There are no device conflicts under device manager. I even used Window's Help: Network Troubleshooter, it did NOT help. even removed everything (except the NIC) from network properties & re-installed, nothing.

they can all see each other but no one can communicate w/the Athlon :-( I had to resort to using a ZIP drive to transfer files into the Athlon (was painfully slow, SLOWER than on my old PCs, zip drive doesn't like new parallel ports?) ;-( anyone have any ideas?

a few updates: No I am not using a firewall program (this is an internal home network w/no outside access). regarding netbios, u may be right in that it is not netbeui.
also I noticed the new system seems to have a problem w/passwords when surfing the net. sometimes I would to enter my *CORRECT* UID & PW several times before a site (such as a car forum) will accept it. I am using IE5 and autocomplete is TURNED OFF. just pointing this out just in case it could be related to the network problems.

also I noticed that the new PC insists that I keep a login profile by forcing me to create a login user once I've deleted *.pwl files???!!! my "primary network login" is just set to windows login/family login because I don't need to PW protect my systems from myself, nor need the extra step of loggin in.

also I did some ping tests: using 3 PCs, they all can see other under network neighborhood (may take several tries). the 2 known good ones can ping themeslves as well as each other but they both can't ping the athlon: requests times out. the athlon can ping itself but also gets request timed out when trying to ping the other 2 good PCs. what does this indicate & does anyone know how to resolve this?

winipconfig tests: all the physical MAC addresses are unique,as expected. Ip addresses are correct, as entered.

ipconfig tests: this may be the biggest revelation: ipconfig shows 2 ethernet adaptors. I assume it's because one is for the 3com NIC and the other for the modem (dialup adaptor). on the athlon the NIC is assigned adaptor 0 (because it's IP info is there). adaptor 1 showing nothing (because there was no current internet connection).

on the other 2 PCs, the NIC is assigned as adaptor 1, while their modems are assigned adaptor 0. ? do they all (all the NICs)need to be assigned the same ethernet adaptor (as shown by ipconfig)? or it doesn't matter?

thanx for any info/assistance

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by twinturboman on 07/30/01 11:59 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
also I did some ping tests: using 3 PCs, they all can see other under network neighborhood (may take several tries). the 2 known good ones can ping themeslves as well as each other but they both can't ping the athlon: requests times out. the athlon can ping itself but also gets request timed out when trying to ping the other 2 good PCs. what does this indicate & does anyone know how to resolve this?
This is the most basic problem out of all. Ignore all other facets (file sharing etc.) until this is resolved.

Couple of things:

When you are pinging, what do the lights on the hub do? Do all the proper ports flash (especially the one hooked up to the Athlon)?

IPX/SPX is unnecessary. You can remove that protocol to reduce complexity.

AFA the windows login stuff, you can eliminate the prompting for a "windows" password by entering a username with a blank password. BUT - to do file sharing with SMB (windows networking) you need to have a Microsoft Networking as your login, the other PC's will try to do some rudimentary authentication (I believe, I'm used to NT/W2K 9x mixed lans). Actually file sharing with SMB is a whole lot easier with W2K than with 9x. FWIW.

This may be a stupid question, but is your IP address (the one you want assigned to the NIC) BOUND to the NIC? Meaning in the Network applet of the control panel it most likely has 2 TCP/IP -> entries, one for your modem and one for your NIC. Does the NIC one have the address? And what is the entry for the modem one? Is it set to DHCP (AKA obtain IP address automatically)?

One other physical test you can try would be to hook 2 PC's up back to back using whats known as a crossover cable and see if they can ping each other.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>