Auxiliary Music Adapter for Car Stereo?

seanmx

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Hello,

In honor of getting my driver's license, my mom is planning on giving me her 2003 Chevy Cavalier as my first car. It's got plenty of miles on it and is in very good shape. It is an older car, though, so there are a few minor things I would like to update. One of these is an audio feature. I listen to music on my android (htc one s) and would love to be able to play it through the car speakers while I'm driving. The car is old, however, and so does not have bluetooth or a USB port. It does have an auxiliary music function, though, so I'm considering getting an adapter to plug in to the port which is (i think?) behind the dashboard. If I get the adapter, would I have to have it professionally put in? If so, what kind of place should I take it?
Also, what is (in your opinion) the recommended model adapter for the car? There is a port above the gas pedal that looks promising as well.

TL;DR What is a good auxiliary adapter for a stereo in an '03 Chevy Cavalier?

Thanks in advance :D

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
The port above the gas pedal is your OBD2. It does not connect to your stereo, do not send any sort of power through it as your can wires are hooked to it. There are some adapters that piggyback to your antenna wire behind the stereo and they are pretty good. There are also fm transmitters that send your music to a radio frequency, these are the cheapest but give the worst sound quality out. It's close to christmas and with boxing day sales there might be a cheap new head unit that you can purchase that'll have a usb input or bluetooth. This would be the best because a new head unit will improve ALL the aspects to your stereo. I've seen ones around where I live for $120 installed before. Last year I bought a $1000 head unit for $288. There will be huge deals it's just looking for them. What is your budget? I've done lots of installations on cavaliers and sunfires so if you wanted to do the install yourself and have done some wiring I can help you through it.

iMuf

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
The easiest thing to do that will sound good would be to get a new radio. FM transmitters work but if your in a place were your radio regularly cuts out then it will cut out when your listening to your ipod, phone, mp3 player, etc. Radios are easy to put in, since you are replacing the original radio you will need an install kit and a wire harness but those only cost about $20 for each. Then it's pretty much plug and play, it's very easy to do