Sign in with
Your question

Installed my graphics card incorrectly.. help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 16, 2012 8:35:27 PM

Had a MSI 8800GT and it did the job till it overheated, now replaced it with a Asus GTX560, i inserted it into the pci-e slot and clipped it in, i couldnt screw the card to the backplate because its too big and the extra metal on the card obstructs the place where the scew should be. I then connected the power cable from the PSU but saw that there was another space on the card for another power cable, so i connected another one up to some loose 4pin connectors that were dangling in my computer. So the card works but isnt that stable (literally, its not secured to the backplate), thep roblem is that im seeing severely reduced performance, I cant play GTA IV , Skyrim works fine but abit laggy, AC: Revelations lags and so do all my other games, which ran perfectly before with an old 8800GT. Have I installed it wrong?

Cheers
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 8:40:43 PM

zackzd said:
Had a MSI 8800GT and it did the job till it overheated, now replaced it with a Asus GTX560, i inserted it into the pci-e slot and clipped it in, i couldnt screw the card to the backplate because its too big and the extra metal on the card obstructs the place where the scew should be. I then connected the power cable from the PSU but saw that there was another space on the card for another power cable, so i connected another one up to some loose 4pin connectors that were dangling in my computer. So the card works but isnt that stable (literally, its not secured to the backplate), thep roblem is that im seeing severely reduced performance, I cant play GTA IV , Skyrim works fine but abit laggy, AC: Revelations lags and so do all my other games, which ran perfectly before with an old 8800GT. Have I installed it wrong?

Cheers

Can you show a picture of your install job ? I wouldn't run the card like that, even if it works. You might short something when the card slips in its slot, and cook both the card, and the motherboard, and maybe more.
August 16, 2012 8:41:33 PM

zackzd said:

Cheers

I would recommend you not install a card at all if it can't be put in securely. This can cause serious damage to the card and/or mother board by causing a short.

Did you install the new drivers for the 560? If you haven't make sure you uninstall the current 8800 drivers first.

If all your drivers are current then I would recommend you call the manufacturer about replacing the 560 it sounds like it is faulty.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 8:46:14 PM

It needs 2 6-pin power connectors (not a 4-pin). Do you only have 1 from your power supply? What is your power supply? it seems like if it isn't screwed in, then maybe you need to take it out, and re-seat it. It should be able to be secured.
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 8:49:44 PM

ss202sl said:
It needs 2 6-pin power connectors (not a 4-pin). Do you only have 1 from your power supply? What is your power supply? it seems like if it isn't screwed in, then maybe you need to take it out, and re-seat it. It should be able to be secured.

I think the OP used a molex 4 pin to PCI-E power 6 pin adapter. They usually toss one or two in with the card for PSUs that have only 1 PCI-E 6 pin connector.
August 16, 2012 9:24:15 PM

~All sorted now, upon installation it updated drivers for me, basically it lied and the drivers were outdated, manually updated them and everything is fine now, cheers
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 9:31:19 PM

zackzd said:
~All sorted now, upon installation it updated drivers for me, basically it lied and the drivers were outdated, manually updated them and everything is fine now, cheers

Good to hear! Still, find a way to support the card in the case with the back screws. It shouldn't be supported only by the PCI-E slot.
a c 191 U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 9:42:01 PM

Could you take a picture? Its kinda hard to visualize in words.
!