Xbox not connecting to Internet with 75 foot cable.

Sitsky

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
I have a 10 foot ethernet Cable, and a 100 foot ethernet cable.

Both cables work great from the router to my Thinkpad PC, and both work through the same port on the router.

on my xbox the 10 foot cable works immediately when I hook it up to my xbox.

The 75 foot cable will just not work to the Xbox. Again, it works fine to 2 of my laptops in the house.

Is there a problem with Xbox and Long ethernet cables?

Sitsky

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
I actually bought a cat 6 cable from mono price, and that didn't work, and thought I needed cat 5, so went to my local computer store and bought a cat 5. Both were 75 foot, both worked with the pc, and neither worked with the Xbox, so I would be surprised if they were both mis wired.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
If both worked with a PC then i'm going to suggest this is an XBox issue. From memory, network cables do not need a power boost for lengths of up to 100m. However the XBox may not conform to this standard while your PC's will do.

NothingMan39

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

Same problem here. I haven't read down to see if there's a solution just yet, but mine is doing the same thing. I have two 100ft Cat 5s and both work on MacBook, but neither on the xbox. It's very sporadic too, sometimes the xbox doesn't even recognize that it's plugged in, sometimes it passes the local network test and fails on the Internet, sometimes passes Internet and fails XBL, and sometimes fails all. It works on WiFi and with shorter cables though.

d85kennedy

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Remeber you would need a straight-through network cable for this and not a cross over cable.

You guys might have bought cross-over cable instead. The fact that they are working is because your laptop/mac has autodetect on the ethernet port and the xbox wont.