System will only boot up after i press the reset button

Status
Not open for further replies.

imadork8317

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
I recently upgraded my system and it has an odd behavior on start-up.

I press the power button and the system just sits there, nothing is displayed on the screen; it does not even seem like the screen receives a signal from the PC.
If i wait several seconds and press the reset button the system will boot normally.
If i wait only a couple seconds and press the reset button the system will not boot.

Below is my specs.

New components
■ASUS M5A99FX
■AMD FX-8150
■G.Skill 2 x 8GB
■SeaSonic X650 Gold

From Old system
■OCZ Vertex 3 120GB - OS
■WD RE4 2TB - Files

Has anyone come across this before?

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Are you 100% sure that the power button functions properly? If the power button does not complete the electrical circuit completely then the unit will not power on properly. It might be getting power but the circuit might not be complete and hitting the reset button jars the connection enough to fully establish the circuit. This would be called a "soft boot," since the power connection has already been established (semi-established in your case).

How old is your PC case? If it's ancient in comparison to your specs then you might want to look at changing that out. If it's not old, how forcefully have the users of that PC been pressing the power button? Those things can wear out.

imadork8317

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010

I forgot to mention that but the case was purchased recently with the new components, so unless it was defective from the retail store that is not likey the issue, however i can probably pull a power switch from another case i have laying around to rule out that scenario.

imadork8317

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010

The issue occurred when i first built the system and turned the PC on for the first time, i have since then updated the BIOS to the latest and greatest, and the issue still persisted, even with factory default settings the system has the same reaction so i do not believe its a BIOS issue.

From your symptoms, I suspect that the power and reset switches were mislabeled or installed in the wrong places.
Actually, yesterday, I had the exact same problem with a new build. It turned out that I was looking at the front power headers from the wrong orientation.

With the asus Q connector, it is hard to go wrong.

If you can power on with the reset switch, does the power switch perform the reset function?

Another possibility is that the startup process is taking more time than you think it should. Sometimes, the motherboard takes lots of time to find a ram configuration that will boot. Are you using compatible normal speed ram?
Is there perhaps a self test sequence, like a ram test selected in the bios?
Or, a time delay before abandoning a search for a non existent device.

Well, my first reaction was like everyone else. If you are clearly getting POWER when you hit the start button, then I would suspect a PSU problem.... it's not giving the power_ready signal when it should or the voltage is too unstable initially.

You would not need to pull a power switch from another PC. When you press the power button you are not permanently closing a switch. It's just a signal, and you can do the same thing by briefly bridging the contacts with a screwdriver.

Sometimes hardware fails to initialize in a timely fashion. I have this old X-fi soundcard here, and once every 100-200 boots it fails to start up right away... either locking the system or creating a buzzsaw noise in the speakers until I reboot. So, I can see this as a hardware issue as well.

imadork8317

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010

If i had old hardware i could understand that but since everything but the hard drives are brand new, i do not think this is the case.

imadork8317

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010

I have tried different BIOS system settings, the RAM is on the ASUS QVL. the motherboard by default clocks the RAM at 1333 but the RAM itself is 1866, setting at either speed has no change in behavior.

Try removing the q connector and other front panel leads.
Power on by touching the two PWR pins with a screwdriver.
If the pc powers on normallly, then there is an issue with the case front panel leads.
If the behavior remains the same, then I might replace the motheboard.

vutar

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

well then..

i was just trying to help.

imadork8317

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Here is some more information regarding my system.

The white panel wires are connected to the ground (-) pins.

When i first attempt a cold boot, the VGA led is lit on the m/b, when i press the reset button the boot device led lights up for a short period and the vga led does not light up. If i shut down the system then power it on, it boots up without any problem, so it seems there is something that needs to be warmed up or something.

Yes, I had gathered the whole "warm up" thing already. Did you ever list your GPU?

Your symptoms, as you describe them, do point to:
A faulty PSU
A compatibility issue between the PSU and MB (rare these days)
A bad MB

The time the PC takes to cool down before the problem occurs again might just tell you which it is. PSUs take longer to cool off.... well, it would depend on what needs to cool off in the PSU. Still, if the PC has to sit more than 10 minutes before the behavior will repeat, then it's probably the PSU.

imadork8317

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010

I swapped my PSU and the problem still exists, i even disconnected my hard drives and optical drives. I am starting to suspect that the MB has an issue. I just wish there was some way to be certain of the issue.

MY GPU is a SAPPHIRE HD5750

imadork8317

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Its been over a week now and the system still boots up properly. I'm still not sure what fix it, maybe the PSU just needed to be run for a while to get broken in? grasping at straws but at least its working now.

Donnovan

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
imadork8317, i understand you perfectly! Because i have exact the same problem!

Funny, my VGA is also a Saphiretech, but a R9 290 Tri-X!

I tested the R9 290 in TWO mother-boarda, a Asus Gryphon and a MSI MPOWER.

The two mother boards show a error on the VGA after power on. If i wait some time, and reset the system, then boot happens normally.

I have another video card, a R9 290 XFX DD, and this does not happens with it.

Please tell me if the problem is still solutioned on your system. Can't you remember what you did to fix?

Nice to meet you man!

imadork8317

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Unfortunately the root cause was never found, however i am still using the exact same system currently and the issue has not come back since then. Like i said it may have been fixed due to some burn in time, or maybe there was a connection just not quite right. Hard to say really, it was quite some time ago. The only thing i can tell you is reconnect all your connections and give it time and see what happens.

Sep 13, 2021
9 Years later... I looked up this old thread because the exact same thing is happening to Me. and guess what brand My GPU is... Yup, a Sapphire Radeon RX590 Nitro+ AMD 50th Anniversary Edition.
was looking into new MB, good thing I came upon this thread in time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.