How much power am I drawing from the PSU?

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
I just put together a new system and although I have a 650w power supply I would like to know if I am overtaxing it, so far I have not experienced any problems but if it would nice to have solid number to work with. is there a utility that can measure how much power that is being pulled from the PSU or is there a website with charts so that I can look up my components and see how much they normally draw?

Don

Solution
You're pulling nowhere near 650W. However, your PSU isn't a great unit.

Anyway, if you want to know how much power computer is pulling, buy one of the meters you plug into the wall socket.

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
here are my specs:

Power Supply: Ultra LSP650 650-Watt

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X EVO
CPU: AMD FX 4100
GPU: ASUS Gforce GXT550 1 GB PCIe 2.0
RAM Kingston HyperX Blue 1600mhz (4) 8GB Sticks
Wireless Card: D-Link DWA-552 PCI
DVD/CD drive: Plextor PX-L890SA-26
Hard Drives: (1) OCZ Vertex 4 128GB, (3) 7200rpm SATA drives: 250GB,500 &1TB
Generic Media Card Reader
Fans: (5) 120mm fans

I was most concerned about the RAM but others on this site have told me that the RAM doesnt draw that much energy so I feel a little better now.

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

Thanks for the options. I will probably stay with 650w just because I would like to have room to upgrade. I will likely be adding another GPU in the next year or so and probably swapping the CPU out for one of the 8 cores.

What do you think about The OCZ modular units?

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

Thanks that helps. I am looking at the corsairs right now. and I am about to look up the Z series.

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

Thanks. I am going to stick with 650 so that review helps. I have no problem going with a non modular design. the case I have has very good wire management.

I appreciate the help.

anyone interested in buying my practically brand new Ultra 650? :D

I use OCZ stuff in my system, but as others said, be very careful. Even within the same series they will have some wattages that are awesome, while others are not. For people like me where down time is not an issue, and where we don't mind digging into our system to play it is just fine to take the occasional chance, but for most people I would not suggest it. Just know what you are getting into.

Also, never trust a power supply that comes with a case. They are just fine for a light weight system that is just going to watch movies and browse the web, and for small form factor units there is often no real difference, but for big stuff where you are going to push your system it is always worth the few extra $$ to do it right.

I would look into Corsair or Antec.

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

Good to know. I admit I paid the least amount of attention to the power supply. I had a budget and I was trying to get the most bang for my buck, I did alot of research on all the other components but I guess I took the PSU for granted but I should have known better.