Solved

Is this a good budget build?

20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about good budget build
  1. What are you going to be using the pc for?
  2. Xclio cases are junk - they would not be a wise investment, and that Corsair CX430 is not the greatest PSU on the market, the Seasonic S12 430W would be a better choice.

    Try this:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($92.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($126.97 @ Newegg)
    Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($61.18 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $567.09
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

    It's a little more but will be a better system in the long run.
  3. Why not a 7850 G-unit the xfx one is $160 after rebate
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150617
    and he will be able to play any pc game he would want to at 60+ FPS
  4. g-unit1111 said:
    Xclio cases are junk - they would not be a wise investment, and that Corsair CX430 is not the greatest PSU on the market, the Seasonic S12 430W would be a better choice.

    Try this:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($92.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($126.97 @ Newegg)
    Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($61.18 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $567.09
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

    It's a little more but will be a better system in the long run.
    I've looked up reviews on the XClio Touch 320, and they all say it is a great case for the price of $70. I can get it for $35! Also, I would like to keep the A8 because of the integraded GPU - it has just enough power for the games I plan to play.
  5. raj00 said:
    Why not a 7850 G-unit the xfx one is $160 after rebate
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150617
    and he will be able to play any pc game he would want to at 60+ FPS
    my monitor has a res of 1152 x 864. Also, I will get a GPU like that if my YouTube channel gets alot of subs that want me to play certain games.
  6. What do you plan on playing minecraft?
  7. Quote:
    pretty decent, you picked the wrong version of windows get 64 bit only for 50 bucks less also might want to toss on a 20 dollar aftermarket cooler so you can overclock the a8.
    my dad wants the 32 and 64 bit version for his use as well. also, could you recommend a CPU cooler?
  8. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jIlh This would be my build for under $500 the cpu is a quad 3.8 with 3.8ghz comparable with an i3 build.
  9. i understand but you would be better off going with an intel i3 2120 or an amd phenom ii x4 same price as the APU you selected. PLus the i3 will allow you to get a better cpu later becuase of the same socket type for the i3, i5 and i7
  10. Best answer
    raj00 said:
    i understand but you would be better off going with an intel i3 2120 or an amd phenom ii x4 same price as the APU you selected. PLus the i3 will allow you to get a better cpu later becuase of the same socket type for the i3, i5 and i7



    I would suggest the a10-5800k over the i3 dual core to be honest. It is comparable to the i3 line and has a future upgrade path with the new fm2 socket amd is using. The 1155 socket upgrades end with the ivy bridge line. They are some great cpus without a doubt. And hands down the top tier in gaming cpus. And if a budget can fully support it i would go that route. But for a low budget build the 5800k is a surprisingly good cpu at $130. A build with it will cost a bit more then a cheaper fm1 socket apu but is well worth the higher costs for the fm2 socket and this cpu.
  11. zolton33 said:
    I would suggest the a10-5800k over the i3 dual core to be honest. It is comparable to the i3 line and has a future upgrade path with the new fm2 socket amd is using. The 1155 socket upgrades end with the ivy bridge line. They are some great cpus without a doubt. And hands down the top tier in gaming cpus. And if a budget can fully support it i would go that route. But for a low budget build the 5800k is a surprisingly good cpu at $130. A build with it will cost a bit more then a cheaper fm1 socket apu but is well worth the higher costs for the fm2 socket and this cpu.
    I will be mostly gaming on this PC, and I picked Llano over Trinity because of Llano's single-threaded CPU performance. Most games are single-threaded, yes?
  12. raj00 said:
    a good CPU cooler is the hyper 212 Evo
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

    $30
    thx
  13. ChaseCTech said:
    I will be mostly gaming on this PC, and I picked Llano over Trinity because of Llano's single-threaded CPU performance. Most games are single-threaded, yes?

    The cost difference between what you have chosen and what i suggest? About $69. For that you are not only getting a better cpu that games circles around the one you chose but it also has a better igp that will make the 5800k still way out perform the 3850. But that extra $69 also allows you to upgrade the cpu in the future. While if you go with your choice now when you need to upgrade you are looking to have to buy a new mobo as well as cpu which will cost you a lot more then $50. Ultimately your choice but I'd rather pay the $69 now to have something compared to a i3 and allows more upgrades later then a cpu setup that only matches :

    Core 2 Extreme QX6700
    Core 2 Quad Q6700, Q9300, Q8400, Q6600, Q8300
    Core 2 Duo E8600, E8500, E8400, E7600
    Core i3 -530, -540, -550
    Pentium G2120, G870, G860, G850, G840, G640, G630

    While the 5800k is closer to

    Core i7-980, -970, -960
    Core i7-870, -875K
    Core i3-3225, -3220,-2100, -2105, -2120, -2125, -2130

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html The 5800k compares closely to a i3 3220 Your choice though

    Plus the build i suggested is cheaper by $4.36 Although if you moved some parts around you could go cheaper then the $487.28 cost of the one i suggested.
  14. raj00 said:
    Why not a 7850 G-unit the xfx one is $160 after rebate
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150617
    and he will be able to play any pc game he would want to at 60+ FPS


    Normally I would say go for it but this is a very limited budget. $160 on a GPU means you have to sacrifice somewhere.

    Quote:
    I've looked up reviews on the XClio Touch 320, and they all say it is a great case for the price of $70. I can get it for $35! Also, I would like to keep the A8 because of the integraded GPU - it has just enough power for the games I plan to play.


    Are you going by Newegg reviews? If so don't rely on those as they're baseless 90% of the time. I've used these cases and cheap cases are very poorly constructed and cut corners a lot and I've had many builds fail because of poor quality cases.
  15. ChaseCTech sorry forgot to answer your question. Most games are more gpu dependent then cpu dependent. So you will get better gains with a cheaper cpu and a more expensive gpu then a cheaper gpu and a more expensive cpu. With the 5800k HD7660D you are getting a better igp over the 3850 AMD Radeon HD 6550D. It costs a bit more then the 3850 $130 compared to the $95 3850. But that extra $35 gets you much better cpu and igp. Which is why i suggest it over the 3850.
  16. raj00 said:
    What are you going to be using the pc for?
    casual gaming, such as CoD: MW2
  17. g-unit1111 said:
    Normally I would say go for it but this is a very limited budget. $160 on a GPU means you have to sacrifice somewhere.

    Quote:
    I've looked up reviews on the XClio Touch 320, and they all say it is a great case for the price of $70. I can get it for $35! Also, I would like to keep the A8 because of the integraded GPU - it has just enough power for the games I plan to play.


    Are you going by Newegg reviews? If so don't rely on those as they're baseless 90% of the time. I've used these cases and cheap cases are very poorly constructed and cut corners a lot and I've had many builds fail because of poor quality cases.
    no... go to google and read reviews on review sites
  18. ChaseCTech said:
    no... go to google and read reviews on review sites


    Yes - that is much wiser than going to store sites and taking their reviews seriously.
  19. Best answer selected by ChaseCTech.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product