Should i upgrade my cpu ?

saikedo

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
Hi I have 2 gtx 680`s and when I compare my benchmarks with the benchmarks on the internet, it seems like people getting more fps in games from their 680`s than i am.

I have 12 gb of ddr3
Intel i7 920 processor (2.66 ghz)

The GPU`s are running under full load when Im playing games but I am getting lower fps. for example games like crysis 2 and battlefield 3 run arround 50-60 fps on max settings. could it be my cpu that causing low fps ?
also I dont want to change my motherboard cuz i got it not too long ago for 250$ and i love it very much, If its my cpu that is limiting my fps which cpu should i buy that will fit on my mother board that have a cpu sucket lga 1366

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I second alvine, at least try overclocking and see if there is a noticeable improvement in FPS.

I would hazard a guess that you are CPU-bound. Most games today still do not make use of extra cores (did you know there are occasions where a Core-i3 CPU will match similarly-clocked Core-i5 or i7 processors for games?) and hyperthreading seems to impede performance too, which is why the Core-i5 family and various AMD CPUs wind up being pick of the little for gaming platforms (works out great as these are cheaper than the really high-end stuff too!).

saikedo

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
MauveCloud, Pretty sure i checked the right resolutions and right conditions :)
also i have a Corsair Hydro Series H100 cooler its pretty good right ?
I guess I will start overclocking then.
thanks to all for your answers.

saikedo

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
BTW I just checked how my GPU`s are doing when I am playing games, basicly my GPU clocks are running on max but my GPU usage is about 50% for both cards. is this caused by cpu or its normal for gpu`s to run under half load ?