Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer Freezes then Beeps

Last response: in Systems
October 8, 2012 5:08:02 PM

First off,

Thanks to those of you who have helped me in the past.

Now on to my problem, I have been looking around and believe my issue is with the RAM with the beeping I heard this morning. However, it has only occured this morning and will try to give you a timeline of what transpired this week.

***Something noteworthy possibly: I have been experiencing for the past month or two, when I start up my computer it sounds like a fan isn't spinning properly and is clicking, but once it gets into Windows and gives me access it doesn't make noise, don't know this issue either, but since it has been going on for 2 months I don't think it is as relative, but wanted to give you guys as much information as possible***

10/4:
My computer starts to freeze up when I am playing facebook games or watching YouTube. On restart it said that the overlock wasn't working in before it went to the Windows screen. I hadn't overclocked my video card in a month or two. I wish I had taken more notes, but I didn't think much at the time :(  Then I get into my computer and in about an hour it shuts off... This occurs once or twice and I shut down my computer, but got home late from work and couldn't dissect further. The overclocking error message only happened once this whole time

10/5:
Realize that I may have a virus or malware, so used MalwareBytes and it found 5 trojans that were spoofing games I played. I removed them but it took me almost all day because my computer would freeze after 30-45 mintues and it was taking the program an hour to run. After the trojans were removed (I did this in safe mode), the problem seemed to get a little better.

10/6:
Computer would function for a good few hours and even ran a rendering project in Sony Vegas. Then later in the evening it froze on me (No beeping occured yet)

10/7:
Worked all day and the system didn't have an issue. Decided to leave it on overnight to run some programs such as O&O defrag and avg security

10/8:
Got online and was checking email and facebook before going to work. Computer froze up and started this long continuous beeping with no breaks. This leads me to believe it has to do with the RAM. What else would you guys need to help me out?

This is a computer I built from scratch about 2 years ago and it has worked well since then, I do videos for YouTube and render projects and videos for the past 2 years and no real issues have come up.

My Computer Specs:
Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan, Lifetime Warranty (10/30/09)
Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Hard Drive ST31500341AS - 7200RPM, 32MB Cache, SATA-3G (10/30/09)
Intel Core i5 750 Processor - 2.66GHz, LGA 1156, 8MB L3 Cache, Quad-Core, Lynnfield, Retail (10/30/09)
Asus P7P55D LE Motherboard - Intel P55, Socket LGA1156, Core i5, 2133MHz, DDR3 (10/30/09)
OCZ PC3-10666 Platinum RAM - 4GB, 2x2GB, 1333MHz, DDR3, Low Voltage, Dual Channel (10/30/09)
Cooler Master Hyper N520 Copper Heatpipe CPU Cooler (6/30/10)
Sapphire DIRT 3 EDITION Radeon HD 6950 2 GB DDR5 DL-DVI-I/SL-DVI-D/HDMI/DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 100312-3SR (10/22/11) ***This was to replace an old graphics card***

Thank you to anyone who can help, I am at work and will be checking to reply. I hope I gave you enough information. After research, I realize I need to go to Speedfan and check the fan speeds as well as check the RAM, but if there is anything I am missing please let me know. My computer skills are not beginner, but definitely not used to dealing with this problem.

More about : computer freezes beeps

a b B Homebuilt system
October 8, 2012 5:13:15 PM

I'd be very suspect of your CPU fan/cooling from your descriptions - that's where I would start.
Clean CPU heatsink/fan real good with compressed air, make sure the wires are not caught up in it.
m
l
October 8, 2012 5:25:08 PM

C12Friedman said:
I'd be very suspect of your CPU fan/cooling from your descriptions - that's where I would start.
Clean CPU heatsink/fan real good with compressed air, make sure the wires are not caught up in it.

I will say that was a solution I did, I used compressed air and gave it a full cleaning, yes there was a lot of dust, but it didn't really seem to solve any problems. I did the cleaning on 10/5. I didn't check the wires though as I it didn't occur to me that would be an issue since it was working alright
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 8, 2012 5:49:00 PM

How about the PSU? Was that cleaned also? Look inside of it for any wires blocking it's fan (it happens) also.
m
l
October 8, 2012 5:57:46 PM

C12Friedman said:
How about the PSU? Was that cleaned also? Look inside of it for any wires blocking it's fan (it happens) also.

Will do when I get home, any other solutions I should run? Does it seem like the temperatures are the main issue for the freezing for a couple days and then the beeping this morning
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 8, 2012 6:05:39 PM

According to what I've seen it's somehow power related although the worse case scenario is the motherboard has died... which reminds me, you can also take a look at your motherboard for swollen/leaky capacitors.
m
l
October 8, 2012 6:07:41 PM

C12Friedman said:
According to what I've seen it's somehow power related although the worse case scenario is the motherboard has died... which reminds me, you can also take a look at your motherboard for swollen/leaky capacitors.

I did look over it and it looked alright, originally thought it might be bad mobo, but all the lights were green on it and capacitors looked good. I thought mobo when the overclock error occurred. I just wish there was an easy way to diagnose what is the issue. I get home in 8 hours and will attempt to solve the issue. Will report back here with my findings
m
l
October 9, 2012 2:28:47 AM

C12Friedman said:

I believe you might be right with the fan, its running at 62 C and it was near 50 before, I have looked at my fans and the case fan seems to be faulty, not blowing out the air my other fans are pushing it... so new fan hope to fix it, thanks for your help :) 
m
l
October 11, 2012 6:42:13 PM

***UPDATE***
10/9
Wasn't home :( 

10/10
Went home, double checked all the wires, capacitors, and unplugged everything as well as put it back in. The problem still persist. For a test, since I was watching MLB Postseason :)  I turned on my computer and let it go to the log-in screen. It froze again anywhere from 30min-1hr.

This is starting to confuse me because at the log-in screen I wouldn't think I would be putting a big load on my computer. Is there anything I can rule out? I am getting in a fan tonight when I get home and it should keep the temperature at 40C from what I have read.

MY THOUGHTS: As a guy who isn't the best with the internal hardware of a computer, more software. I am at a loss of what it could be. My guess would either be a faulty motherboard, RAM, or Hard Drive. Anyone have thoughts or advice, if you are still there C12Friedman I would appreciate your help as well :) 
m
l
October 11, 2012 7:08:47 PM

I'll take a stab at this. Check the fan on your video card, make sure it isn't dirty. With the computer spin the video card fan with your finger and make sure it spins pretty freely.

Remove all RAM, Video Card, cables, and any other components that connect to the motherboard. Re-connect everything and then let us know how it runs after that.
m
l
October 11, 2012 7:20:42 PM

babayface22 said:
I'll take a stab at this. Check the fan on your video card, make sure it isn't dirty. With the computer spin the video card fan with your finger and make sure it spins pretty freely.

Remove all RAM, Video Card, cables, and any other components that connect to the motherboard. Re-connect everything and then let us know how it runs after that.

10/10
I removed the video card and used air compressor to blow it out and everything functioned well. I also removed the RAM, Video Card (to clean), and cables all to plug them back in.

I can assure you that everything is dust free and all fans work. The case fan doesnt spin well and will be replacing that tonight. The RAM has been working for 2 1/2 years and I took it out and plugged it back in as well as the video card which is 1 year old.
m
l
October 12, 2012 2:41:46 PM

Now I am befuddled... New fan, computer is running below 50C on full load and 32C on idle. It can't be the overheating...

I have noticed my computer is running slower, but maybe that is just me. I think the next step is to look at the memory or motherboard. Any thoughts?
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2012 3:21:58 PM

I'm going to venture perhaps a driver issue within windows. Try to start in safe mode (F8) - see if issues persist. If not, start loading hardware until computer slows. Restart in safe mode, add the last hardware (before slow down) first to see if it is the issue.
In reality, driver issues can be super difficult to find (especially orphaned drivers) a driver sweeper program may help
October 12, 2012 6:54:15 PM

Run Memtest on the PC.
www.memtest.org
That will help to define the problem a little better. Also is 50c the system temperature or CPU?
Also, really going out on a limb here. Uninstall all copies of Adobe Flash Player and run without it for a few days and report back. I've been having a weird system freezing issue with Flash lately. In the case that it "freezes" I cant do anything at all, except for hitting Windows key+R and then logging out of Windows. Weird, I know, but it is worth a shot.
m
l
October 15, 2012 5:21:24 PM

Interesting turn of events, thought it might be a memory issue. Wasn't able to run the memtest and might do it with my memory soon. However, I went to grab a pair of compatible corsair two 4gb sticks to replace because you can get them for 40 bucks, sweet upgrade :)  It seems to have fixed the problem of freezing. I have gone 36 hours without a freeze. Not continuous but over 18 hours of being on the computer and in significant intervals.

Upgrading my fan and memory seem to have really benefited my computer, but I know you can never be entirely sure, so I may be checking back in lol... I will say, and I may need another forum topic for this, but now with both sticks installed I have windows saying 8 gb (4gb usable) I have looked through forums and unchecked the memory limit as well as I am running Windows 7 Premium 64-bit which means I should be able to use the full 8 gb. I am thinking either I have a bad memory slot on my motherboard, which not sure but might have caused my other problems.
m
l
October 16, 2012 7:13:57 PM

Best answer selected by pitchingace88.
m
l
!