Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC won't post

Last response: in Systems
October 8, 2012 6:18:26 PM

Hello to all. This is my first post on this forum. I'd just like to say thank you to any help provided, and I'm glad to be a part of your community. Hopefully I'll be able to provide help in return someday when I have more experience.

Currently my computer is unable to post. When I turn it on it used to turn off and sometimes not come back on. Now it sometimes just turns off and then back on only to have either the cpu-led on or both the cpu-led and ram-led on. I originally thought the lack of ability to turn it on was due to a power supply issue. However, after clearing the cmos (if that's the right wording) the computer will boot up just fine. Then it can play the most demanding games without any issues. However, as soon as computer is put into sleep or shutdown the problem will come right back. Thus, I thought the problem might have been the ram because the ram I use isn't officially supported by the motherboard and is overclocked to 1600 mhz. However, after setting the memory back to default settings, and replacing it with 1 stick of compatible ram the problem persists. So, maybe the problem is CPU/Motherboard??

As a result, I'm at an overall loss of what to do, and don't know where else to turn. Essentially, I want to know what part is the exact problem, and then I want to know if it can be fixed, or if it needs be replaced. Any suggestions to find or fix the problem are greatly appreciated.

Note: This is not a new build. All my parts have worked with each other flawlessly for several months, some of the older parts are about a year and a half though. Also, clearing the cmos always seems to let me boot once more. Only to have it fail when waking from sleep or shut down.

Parts: Asus Sabertooth x58, EVGA GTX 680, Corsair Vengeance @1600mhz (4gB x 3), power supply (unknown brand) 800 watt, i7-960

More about : post

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
October 8, 2012 8:11:10 PM

Try replacing the CMOS battery, remove the overclocks and set the memory to xmp settings. Also power supply may be an issue, if you can swap with a know reliable one. Otherwise go thru the trouble shooting guide. Were you using this memory with this mother board before?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Mac
October 9, 2012 12:50:21 AM

Thanks for the reply. XMP settings were the 1600mhz. Yes, both sets of ram have been used with the motherboard before. I don't have another power supply on hand, but I'll be able to go through the checklist tomorrow and hopefully get another battery then too. I'll keep you updated and thanks again!
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2012 2:08:14 AM

check if you got the current dat when you open the system that will help you find if you battery is out and do a memtest one stick at the time
m
l
October 16, 2012 10:50:32 PM

Alright, so the cmos battery is good. I got a new power supply. A Corsair HX 850 (comes with a seven year warrenty) The problem was the same as described above, my computer wouldn't post, unless CMOS was cleared. However, after a restart or two my computer no longer Posts and usually doesn't even turn on. The fans spin for a second and that's it???? So, does this confirm motherboard/CPU problem
m
l
October 16, 2012 10:57:13 PM

Because I'm finding it hard to believe I have 2 bad power supplies...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2012 11:02:34 PM

it could loose connector and check the board with a magnifier to see if there is not a bubled capacitor or something else see if all you cpu fan and graphic card spin freely
m
l
October 16, 2012 11:11:41 PM

scout_03 said:
it could loose connector and check the board with a magnifier to see if there is not a bubled capacitor or something else see if all you cpu fan and graphic card spin freely

I don't think those can be a problem though. I did get my computer to start and boot up completely. Then ten minutes later it won't even turn on until i unplug and replug the power cable. After that the fans may spin but It's too short of a time to tell.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2012 11:14:03 PM

did you change the power cable with the new one on the psu for the computer from the outlet and try another outlet in another room if you got that same issue on start
m
l
October 16, 2012 11:14:44 PM

Okay, I started it again. It turned off almost immediately. Then it came back on and now the cpu-led and ram-led are both on.....all the fans are working....if that's what you were asking.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2012 11:18:12 PM

so if system start every time and post is should be working do you stil have issue with it
m
l
October 16, 2012 11:23:41 PM

scout_03 said:
did you change the power cable with the new one on the psu for the computer from the outlet and try another outlet in another room if you got that same issue on start

Alright, I switched both power cables and outlets......nope. Thanks for the quick replies so far. Anymore suggestions?
m
l
October 16, 2012 11:25:46 PM

scout_03 said:
so if system start every time and post is should be working do you stil have issue with it

yes, it starts most of the time now....but doesn't get to post and gives me cpu-led and ram-led. No booting or posting whatsoever. (Start=Computer turns on) Just to define what I mean by start and to reduce confusion.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2012 11:29:59 PM

could you try with one stick of memory at the time and if is start do a memtest
m
l
October 16, 2012 11:39:48 PM

scout_03 said:
could you try with one stick of memory at the time and if is start do a memtest

I went to one stick and used the correct slot for motherboard. However, the problem persisted and mem test just shut down the computer and it didn't turn back on. I just doubt ram to be the problem after working for so long. I tried again with a different piece and a different spot that should still work with no success. Went through the entire list above except for taking the board out with no more success
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2012 11:43:40 PM

do you use win 7 there is a module in it for memory diagnostic it is basic but will help
m
l
January 11, 2013 12:58:50 AM

Best answer selected by Black Fox.
m
l
January 11, 2013 1:03:48 AM

macusn said:
Try replacing the CMOS battery, remove the overclocks and set the memory to xmp settings. Also power supply may be an issue, if you can swap with a know reliable one. Otherwise go thru the trouble shooting guide. Were you using this memory with this mother board before?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Mac

Thank you for the advice. With the list you gave me I finally managed to pinpoint the problem as the motherboard. Sorry I didn't reply sooner buy college and exams prevented me from testing the list fully until winter break.

Also, thank you Scout for replying to me so well, and if I had replied to you faster I'm sure you would've figured it out.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2013 1:52:41 AM

glad it work,the good thing that your issue is solve.
m
l
!