New build suggestions, $800-1000 Photo Editing and Gaming rig.

thechargingskies

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: In the next month or so.

Budget Range: $800-1000 for suggested parts.

System Usage: Raw photo processing (photoshop, Nikon's crap software, etc), Gaming, Media storage.

Are you buying a monitor: No.

Parts to Upgrade: Case, Mobo, CPU/Cooler, Ram, PSU, Video Card. I've already got monitors, HDs, a Samsung MZ-5PA SSD, and an optical drive.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Directron.com

Parts Preferences: Historically, I've been using Asus mobos and Antec Sonata cases.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Dual 1920x1200 monitors

Additional Comments: Emphasis on quiet cases/fans/psus, but I'm not looking to dive into water cooling. Not looking to do super high end fast twitch gaming, but expansive stuff like Skyrim or new stuff like upcoming Far Cry.

Why Are You Upgrading: At 3.5 years, my current pc is showing it's age, especially when faced with hundreds or thousands of 20mb raw photos to sort through. I plan on using the old one as an HTPC if I can figure out a way to disguise it in the living room.

thechargingskies

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Thanks for the input so far. I do some high end photo processing (large panoramas based on 20-30 20+ mb raw files and the like) but I'm not certain whether that's hitting more on the processor, ram or gpu.

Can I assume from the lack of cards running dual DVI ports these days that that standard is really being supplanted by DisplayPort? Are there any drawbacks to DisplayPort vs. DVI?

TRENDING THREADS