Random blank line across screen

nate vongrimm

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
I have recently built my new desktop PC with brand new parts.
All drivers are up to date.

But for the past hour, this random black line has appeared on my screen.
Sometimes it blinks, sometimes it's just solid.
It also disappears sometimes by moving over it, highlighting the area it's at or it disappears by itself.

It appears on most programs and does not appear on my desktop.

Anyone have an idea on what is going on?

I would provide a screen shot but I don't know how to post one up. Is there a limit of posts I have to break?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: 18th August 2012, 01:58AM

So far today, I haven't seen any black lines in any programs since I turned on the PC this morning at about 11:30AM.
But right now, there is a small white line going across my first tab on Google Chrome.

If any one has any information on this, it will be greatly appreciated!

My graphics card is a XFX Radeon 6870HD.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: 24th August 2012, 15:12PM

Black lines are back on Google Chrome. Haven't seen if it's affecting any other programs yet.
Haven't done anything different since I started using this PC.

I don't want this thread to die with no answer so if someone has any knowledge of this problem, please post.
Any information about this problem would be brilliant!

asalikus

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Can you post detailed specs of your PC and also show me some screenshots and photos? If the problem doesn't show up on the screenshot it can be about the monitor also. I bet its about the monitor, try your PC on another monitor.

nate vongrimm

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

Specification:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64x
AMD Phenom II Black Edition 4x 3.4GHz
8GB Vengeance RAM
XFX Radeon HD 6870 GDDR5: Settings used - 1920 x 1080, 60Hz, HDMI connection.
1TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III

It's not the monitor because it's happening on both my old and brand new monitor.
And I would post a screen shot but I'm not sure how too on this forum. I can't see the option. But the lines appear on the screen shot.

Also to note, the black lines don't appear everyday.
I haven't seen any today so far and my PC has been on for almost 12 hours.
But I will expect them to return soon as they did last time.

asalikus

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
What is your power supply?

nate vongrimm

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

I don't have another video card.

If it was the video card, wouldn't the black lines be appearing all the time?
It's been a couple of days now since a black line last appeared.

asalikus

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Never seen that in my life, I don't know what the problem is but there are a lot of resons why it could be happening overheat videocard etc. Sorry, but can't help you at the moment. I hope the black lines dont appear agan :/

nate vongrimm

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

It's a pain. I know it's not overheating as my GPU temp hardly ever goes over 45C when playing games and 36C when basically idle.

Could you tell me how to upload pictures on this site?
It would be nice to show people what is the problem instead of trying to explain it.

asalikus

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Hi,

Here I found a thread on how to post pictures to Tom's Hardware:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/126-40-hosting-pics

Does the black line still appear?
I think the problem is with the monitor or the video card because video card is like a little processor that sends visuals to the screen or it could because of the monitor, even though the parts are new there could be a problem with shipping. But a again, I am not 100% sure what your problem is although it could be because of the related parts. When ever we post something on this thread it appears on the top so don't be worried your thread isn't lost yet, post some pictures if you can so that some other people hopefully can help you better. :/ Good luck!

simfoo

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Hello,

I found this thread via google - I have the exact same problem.

My GPU is an HD 6870, CPU is Core i5 3570K. Nothing is overheating (I checked that). I also did not overclock anything (yet :D). Those random black lines only appear in Google Chrome, haven't noticed them yet in any other program. Any ideas?

nate vongrimm

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
I see that I never replied here informing people of any change.
My bad :p

Even though it was over a year ago now, The black line just disappeared on it's own within the week.
I'm guessing it was it's way of "warming" to it's new home.
A year later, And it's working perfectly fine.

asalikus

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Oh thank god, I was starting to get worried. :D :D