Sign in with
Your question

AMD Athlon II x4 635 2.9Ghz - Can this be a gaming base?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 21, 2013 3:16:22 PM

Office computer has Athlon II x4 635 2.9GHz. We're needing to upgrade the graphics card, ram, maybe power source, etc., so we can run an animation software. Radeon HD 7770 is the card we're looking to upgrade with. Any thoughts here? Is this CPU sufficient?
a c 850 à CPUs
February 21, 2013 6:59:34 PM

Yes it is a good match with HD7770.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2013 8:44:27 PM

You'll be fine, if you fear any bottleneck, overclock it to 3.5ghz to put your mind at ease. CPU bottlenecks are overrated in my opinion, I'd only ever upgrade my cpu when the cpu is stopping my frame rates from being smooth (in my case 30fps+, I come from games console and thats what im confortable with) in my games.
m
l
Related resources
February 22, 2013 11:01:04 PM

What's the name of the animation software?
m
l
a c 307 à CPUs
February 22, 2013 11:39:25 PM

It'll make a very capable gamer depending on the resolution you game at. Some settings in some games will need to be backed off a bit to maintain smooth frame rates at 1080p or above. The HD 7850 would be a better choice for gaming, and about the most you'd be able to use without encountering some CPU bottleneck.
m
l
February 23, 2013 12:47:38 AM

clutchc said:
It'll make a very capable gamer depending on the resolution you game at. Some settings in some games will need to be backed off a bit to maintain smooth frame rates at 1080p or above. The HD 7850 would be a better choice for gaming, and about the most you'd be able to use without encountering some CPU bottleneck.

If you play Source based games the lack of L3 cache will mean frames could be as much as 30% lower vs a Phenom II (Source engine games love cache), for most other games it will be fine and it'll even play Source games more than acceptably but if you like 32 man tf2 servers you may want to upgrade for instance.

As for those saying you can have a high end gpu with no cpu bottleneck, that is kind of false, you will bottleneck but likely it will be in the minimum framerate department on SOME games that are sensitive to processor cache and clockspeed. You can overclock to get more clockspeed but that cache is forever gone.

I remember I had an E2220 that struggled heavily to play tf2 so I overclocked it to 3.2GHz and it barely improved. Stuck in an E8400 and got AMAZINGLY better framerates, even downclocked it to 2GHz for the hell of it and it still out gamed the E2220@3.2GHz.

These days I'm on a Phenom II 925@3.5GHz with a 6870 and my only complaint is the stock fan, the bearings are wearing and making a loud whining noise but I'm too broke to fix it ATM, games fine I got it in July 2011 I just need a new cpu cooler.
m
l
a c 307 à CPUs
February 23, 2013 1:47:31 AM

protokiller said:
If you play Source based games the lack of L3 cache will mean frames could be as much as 30% lower vs a Phenom II (Source engine games love cache)

I've heard that discussed before when compared to other game engines, but never seen it it print. Tom's did a comparison of Athlon vs Phenom a few years back, but the cache only made a big difference in the one Source game they tested; LFD.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-l3-cache,241... The other apps weren't affected much by the lack of L3 cache.
And in reality, Source games play well with limited components, L3 cache or not.
m
l
February 23, 2013 3:39:50 AM

I had a Phenom II X4 3.2ghz which is essentially the same CPU just a bit faster. and it was a good game CPU it played Black ops2 well. I installed a 6 core FX 6300 not long ago. its a 3.5ghz 6 core and its SLOWER then my Pheom II!! so its agood cpu. get an aftermarket fan and clock it to 3.2ghz
m
l
April 13, 2013 2:09:15 PM

Which motherboard should you use for this processor? AMD Athlon II X4 635
m
l
a c 307 à CPUs
April 13, 2013 3:42:51 PM

Jerinos said:

Any MB that has an AM3 or AM3+ socket. If you want more detail, please let us know your use for the PC and your budget.
m
l
April 13, 2013 4:11:35 PM

clutchc said:
Jerinos said:

Any MB that has an AM3 or AM3+ socket. If you want more detail, please let us know your use for the PC and your budget.

I'm looking for something because this is a replacement motherboard for one that went bad. These are the components that I'm looking to keep that it needs to be compatible with:

ram: PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
processor: AMD Athlon X4 635
video card: nVidia GeForce 9600 GSO (pci-E)
hard drive: Corsair Force Series GT (sata 3)

Thanks.
m
l
April 13, 2013 7:48:51 PM

clutchc said:
You don't mention if it needs to be an ATX or mATX, or if it is for gaming or general purpose, or a price range. The only drive you list is a 60GB SSD...
http://www.corsair.com/ssd/force-series-gt-ssd/force-se...
...So I'm not sure what to recommend. But any of these will work depending upon whether or not you need a certain size MB.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Sorry, this is mainly for general purpose but I do use it occasionally for gaming. On the other hand, I'm not interested in paying a premium for better gaming performance. The price range is whatever is the cheapest but will still give me decent performance and I do need at least 6 USB slots for plugging in devices.

The SSD drive I have is the 90gb version, and I also have a Samsung Desktop Class Spinpoint F3 1 TB SATA 3.0.

This is the mother board I'm replacing - Pegatron M2N68-LA. It looks like I need an mATX for the size.
m
l
a c 307 à CPUs
April 13, 2013 8:02:14 PM

Any of these 4 boards will work with your processor, are mATX, have at least 6 USB ports on the rear, plenty of SATA ports, but no SATA 3; just SATA 2 like your old board. Since your processor is a 95W CPU, you can use any of them. And all are at least as good as your original board.
m
l
April 13, 2013 8:05:16 PM

To be honest, just forget about trying to use the Athlon II for a gaming base. Save some money and build a decent budget gaming rig and turn the Athlon II into a HTPC.
m
l
a c 307 à CPUs
April 13, 2013 8:10:09 PM

Actually, he said it was for general purpose and "occasional" gaming. And that he wasn't interested in "paying a premium for better gaming performance".
m
l
April 13, 2013 8:10:39 PM

clutchc said:
Any of these 4 boards will work with your processor, are mATX, have at least 6 USB ports on the rear, plenty of SATA ports, but no SATA 3; just SATA 2 like your old board. Since your processor is a 95W CPU, you can use any of them. And all are at least as good as your original board.

Do you think it would be a good idea to get a board with SATA 3 since both of my hard drives can use that? Or is it not a big deal?
m
l
a c 307 à CPUs
April 13, 2013 8:27:22 PM

Well, your old board wasn't SATA 3. And I'm not sure you can find a mATX AM3/AM3+ board with SATA 3. It would have to be a 900 series chip set and for some reason no one seems to make a mATX board with a 900 series chip set. The SSD would be the only device that would benefit from SATA 3. Mechanical HDDs are too slow to benefit from SATA 3.

Btw, we shouldn't hijack this thread. If you want to discuss this further, you should really start your own thread.
m
l
November 10, 2013 12:07:23 AM

BF3 and BF4 still play lovely
m
l
!