Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Homebuild 800-1200EU

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 8, 2012 7:19:49 PM

Hello everyone,
Last week my and my old desktop got into a fight again and although I don't want to get into the details, it's what's finally pushed me over the edge and got me researching into getting a new one. I went to a couple of techshops already and quickly made the decision that I want to build my own desktop. Now, as I found out, it's quite the challenge I'm up against here. However, I am more than willing to put in the time, money and effort to make this work because it's a big investment after all.


Approximate Purchase Date: Between now and 3 weeks.

Budget Range: 800-1200 EU, after shipping etc. I will, obviously, be looking for however cheap I can get it and order it from there. Shipping costs are minimal because most of it will be delivered within a day where I live and they in general are not very high.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming mainly, but it definately has to be capable of more. A good graphic card is a must obviously. In 1-2 years I'll be studying computer science and my desktop will have to be capable of handling things like that too.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Everything, I want to build a new one from scratch. I have a ZALMAN ZM460B-APS fan which is very silent and I quite like but I doubt it'll be up to the task when I get a new processor, card etc. Any comments?


Do you need to buy OS: Yes, I'll probably be getting a simple (cheapest) Windows 7 pack.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Not really any, preferably ones that give the prices in EU but it's not required. Once I know what I want I'll look around for the best deals I can get anyway.

Location: Netherlands, Eindhoven.

Parts Preferences: Intel i7 (I've heard people say i5 works just as well for gaming but I would prefer to just have a faster CPU). For the rest of the parts no preference.

Overclocking: Maybe, I would consider it but I am new to all of this and putting the whole thing together in itself will probably be a challenge to me already. I doubt it'll be very necessary with i7 CPU and if desired I can always do it later.

SLI or Crossfire: I doubt I need SLI unless you guys strongly advise it.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024 is what I used before on the monitor that I'm keeping.

Additional Comments: I would like a fairly quiet pc, I perfectly understand they all make some noise but it'd be nice if playing Skyrim at night wouldn't wake my sister (who's one floor down) up. For the computercase I will just pick something fairly modern but it's not a very big deal. High-end games I would like to play (not necessarily on the highest settings) and keep being able to play for the next couple of years, be it on low settings.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: The computer I have now is several years old, built by my dad whenever that was. It still runs XP and recently it's just barely been able to play what I want to play. I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now but consdering I'm only 17 it took me a while to save up. Right now I think I'm in a comfortable position, old enough to figure out how to put the thing together and not completely screw up and in possesion of enough money to buy some decent parts.

Sorry for the long story but I'd really appreciate any help I can get!

More about : homebuild 800 1200eu

October 8, 2012 7:22:33 PM

Quote:
Parts Preferences: Intel i7 (I've heard people say i5 works just as well for gaming but I would prefer to just have a faster CPU). For the rest of the parts no preference.


Not at all faster. In fact the i7 can actually be slower in some games. Games don't know how to handle the CPU's extra threads and won't for several years. So it's actually quite the opposite. There's very few exceptions - strategy games like Civ V can make use of the extra threads but games like Borderlands won't. Most programming and MSDN apps don't make use of the extra threads either.

If you post the store you're buying from I can suggest a system, if you don't know a store check the link in my signature.
October 8, 2012 7:26:14 PM

I'd prefer to buy from Alternate.nl or maybe 4launch because people tell me (esp. Alternate) gets you a satisfying system
Related resources
October 8, 2012 8:55:43 PM

Jaeden said:
I'd prefer to buy from Alternate.nl or maybe 4launch because people tell me (esp. Alternate) gets you a satisfying system


Here you go:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus - € 76,90
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 600W - € 88,90
Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 - € 127,90
CPU: 3.4GHz Intel Core i5-3570K - € 212,90
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - € 32,99
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile DDR3 1600MHz 1.5V - € 37,99
HD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue - € 73,90
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - € 18,29
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 - € 304,-
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium NL - € 32,99

Total: € 1.081,67
October 9, 2012 10:10:50 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Here you go:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus - € 76,90
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 600W - € 88,90
Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 - € 127,90
CPU: 3.4GHz Intel Core i5-3570K - € 212,90
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - € 32,99
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile DDR3 1600MHz 1.5V - € 37,99
HD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue - € 73,90
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - € 18,29
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 - € 304,-
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium NL - € 32,99

Total: € 1.081,67


First of all, thank you! I do however have some questions pertaining to your advice.

Case: I really like the purple in this one, would it be doable size/ room-wise or is that not smart?
PSU: Iwas going to question this but I think this is about as cheap as you can go for a decent and quiet PSU?
Motherboard: What made you choose this one over (for example) a slightly cheaper ASRock or an ASUS?
CPU: This is the best i5 I take it so for gaming it would be perfect, right?
Cooler: The cooler you linked doesn't show up in the DIY computer building thing. Would this one work too?
RAM: Will this one fit?
HD: I'm totally cool with that one.
Optical: Seems alright, I won't be doing much burning but I do want to be able to.
Video Card: Link not working.

Thanks in advance :D 
October 9, 2012 12:10:43 PM

I know it sounds stupid, but would water cooling be good for your tasks? Of course, an air cooler can be just as effective, but in a €1200 build do you think you will want a custom loop, a ready made one like a Corsair H100 or youll stick with air cooling?
October 9, 2012 12:54:08 PM

Probably not unless he wants to overclock to great lengths.

Also, a custom water loop is recommended, if ever you're gonna water cool.
October 9, 2012 5:09:37 PM

Is there any significant profit in using a (custom) water loop over aircooling? If not, I'd rather just stick to regular and simple air cooling. This is my first build after all.
October 9, 2012 5:56:11 PM

Jaeden said:
Is there any significant profit in using a (custom) water loop over aircooling? If not, I'd rather just stick to regular and simple air cooling. This is my first build after all.


If it's your first build - stick to air, do not use liquid if you don't know what you are doing. Liquid coolers require a lot more maintenance than standard air fans do, and plastic blocks like the H100 are terrible choices as they're the very low end of the liquid cooling spectrum, and are very overrated for the overclocking speeds that you get vs. what a strong air fan will give you.

Quote:
I know it sounds stupid, but would water cooling be good for your tasks? Of course, an air cooler can be just as effective, but in a €1200 build do you think you will want a custom loop, a ready made one like a Corsair H100 or youll stick with air cooling?


No - water cooling is a bad idea on this budget. If it were higher I'd suggest going with an open loop - but you should never purchase a closed loop like the H100 if you can help it - there's far better coolers you could go with.
October 16, 2012 12:48:48 PM

Alright, this is what I want to go with:

Case: MS-TECH CA-0300 Stingray NG - € 56,90
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 600W - € 88,90
Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 - € 127,90
CPU: 3.4GHz Intel Core i5-3570K - € 212,90
Cooler: Artic Freezer 13 - € 27,49
RAM: Corsair 8GB DDR3-1600 Kit - € 41,49
HD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue - € 69,90
Optical: LG DVD Burner - € 15,99
Video Card: MSI N660Ti PE - € 294,-

Total: € 935,47

Whaddya think?
October 16, 2012 5:38:15 PM

Jaeden said:
Alright, this is what I want to go with:

Case: MS-TECH CA-0300 Stingray NG - € 56,90
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 600W - € 88,90
Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 - € 127,90
CPU: 3.4GHz Intel Core i5-3570K - € 212,90
Cooler: Artic Freezer 13 - € 27,49
RAM: Corsair 8GB DDR3-1600 Kit - € 41,49
HD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue - € 69,90
Optical: LG DVD Burner - € 15,99
Video Card: MSI N660Ti PE - € 294,-

Total: € 935,47

Whaddya think?


Artic Coolers are absolutely horrendous - go with a 212 Evo instead. You might want to do a bit of investigation before purchasing a case from an unknown manufacturer like that (long term reliability, support, things of that nature). If you want a particular lighting scheme you can always replace the LED fans in whatever case you buy with the colors you want.
October 16, 2012 9:09:02 PM

I really like the specific case, not just the colour but the general shape etc aswell. I did do some research and most of it was very positive.

And the 212 Evo doesn't fit in the MS-TECH case, would this be alright:GeminII M4
October 18, 2012 11:09:31 AM

I decided to take your advice and go with the 212 EVO with MS-TECH X3 Crow¹ as case. The reviews I've read are only positive and I simply think these look the coolest (which, after all, is pretty important).

I'll order my parts today and post a picture once it's all put together. Thanks for the help!
!