Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cant decide...

Last response: in CPUs
February 21, 2013 3:35:23 PM

Hello,

So i finally saved up some money to build a PC.
Though now i cant make up my mind and i could use some advises...
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Should i go with the motherboard above with which i would get Intel i7 CPU and 2x nvidia 660ti
Or should i go with a different motherboard for to go with the two components i mentioned above?

Or, third option ... go with a different motherboard (please add suggestions) and fit in
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core
2x Radeon HD 7950 or 7970

... im more leaning towards this third option, because i think value wise is the best.

Im building a computer to last though, so i am looking to spend a little bit more...

Any and all replies are apreciated.
Thank you

More about : decide

February 21, 2013 3:43:27 PM

I'd go for the 3rd option (with a different board), but with only one HD 7970 or one nvidia 660 Ti -- don't waste your money.
m
l

Best solution

February 21, 2013 3:56:27 PM

They will all last for a few years without many hiccups. But the i7-3770K will be plenty for easily 3-4 years+ in terms of a regular user or just a gamer. I'm still using my i7-920 i got in 2009-2010 for $200 and it runs perfectly and have yet to get a GPU to bottleneck it.

Also as someone else stated, I'm not a huge fan of SLI/CF unless you actually plan to utilize it fully, or want to do something like play Crysis 3 on maxed out settings. Otherwise, a 7970 is more than enough to play most games maxed out for at least 1-2 years. (my gtx 465 was able to play most games on ultra for the past 2 years).
Related resources
February 21, 2013 4:54:21 PM

So if i go with the i7 cpu, should i get the motherboard from the link above, the z77... or should i go with something better?

If i go with the AMD FX-8350 Eight core, which motherboard would you suggest? And keep in mind that if not now, then in near future i will be getting a second GPU, so it has to be able to support CrossFire.

This computer will be used mostly for gaming.
m
l
February 23, 2013 1:08:32 AM

You could buy one GPU now, and then the same model later once the price has gone down. But again, 2 GPUs do not mean double performance -- and frame-rate and quality anomalies are often manifested.

When you come to the point when you require higher performance, you have the option of adding a second card _or_ a newer and better single card. Some of the questions that factor into this decision are based upon the age of the current card, Direct-X support, and price.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2013 4:09:42 AM

drg889 said:
They will all last for a few years without many hiccups. But the i7-3770K will be plenty for easily 3-4 years+ in terms of a regular user or just a gamer. I'm still using my i7-920 i got in 2009-2010 for $200 and it runs perfectly and have yet to get a GPU to bottleneck it.

Also as someone else stated, I'm not a huge fan of SLI/CF unless you actually plan to utilize it fully, or want to do something like play Crysis 3 on maxed out settings. Otherwise, a 7970 is more than enough to play most games maxed out for at least 1-2 years. (my gtx 465 was able to play most games on ultra for the past 2 years).

So what does Crysis 3 do with a single 7970?
m
l
!