SLI GTX 670 vs Crossfire 7970 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
I am starting to get more and more fed up with AMD every minute. At first I had two 6970s and an i7 3770 now through a series of upgrades I have crossfire 7970s and an i7 3770K @ 4.7GHz which bottlenecks both cards on bf3 leaving me with ~100 fps average and a minimum of ~55. So if I were to sell them and some other old cards so I would not loose any money, do you think it would be a smart coice to get two 670s?
I have Windows 7, (thinking about getting 8 soonish)
1100Watt ABS Majesty PSU
and my seemingly top of the line cpu bottlenecks my 7970s down to <70% gpu usage.

Solution
What do you hope to accomplish by switching to 670's?

If you hope to relieve the bottleneck on the CPU, it won't change much, if at all. There may be a slight improvement on the minimums if you are lucky, only because AMD's crossfire tends to have slightly higher overhead, but we are only talking slightly. Then again, it could actually be worse.

Multiplayer maps, particularly large maps with 64 players, have a lot of CPU bottlenecking and there really isn't anything you can do to fix it. That is the nature of gaming. You can be happy to know that everyone else you play against has the same issue.
What do you hope to accomplish by switching to 670's?

If you hope to relieve the bottleneck on the CPU, it won't change much, if at all. There may be a slight improvement on the minimums if you are lucky, only because AMD's crossfire tends to have slightly higher overhead, but we are only talking slightly. Then again, it could actually be worse.

Multiplayer maps, particularly large maps with 64 players, have a lot of CPU bottlenecking and there really isn't anything you can do to fix it. That is the nature of gaming. You can be happy to know that everyone else you play against has the same issue.

Solution

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012

Yeah I was hoping to improve minimum fps but I honestly cannot find a single rig (searching through forums) that can keep frames at 60+ the ENTIRE time on all maps no matter what the gpu setup is :(

That is the reality. Why do you find it so important to always by so high? Dropping to 55 FPS should not be that detrimental.

I don't personally play BF3. I've just been repeating what everyone seems to say.

That said, it may be possible to drop certain settings that use CPU power, instead of GPU power. Many games use the CPU with shadowing and lighting, for example. You may be able to experiment with lowering CPU heavy settings, if there are any.

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012

Oh I don't, the actual smoothness of the screen does not bother me at all, dont get me wrong. I feel no difference between 60 and 55 fps I was just more of curious if Nvidia had a better minimum but I guess not.
Surprises me very much.
Thank you alot, tis very helpful knowing that is the reality with everyone and not just my rig being weird. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.