Best PSU for ~$80.00?

Dingleberg

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012
I am looking for about the best psu that I can get in the US for about $80. I really can't go much over though. It will be powering an i5 3570k and an HD 7870 Tahiti LE as for the most important parts. I just need it to be reliable and have enough wattage for some good overclocking. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
For a system using a single reference clocked Radeon HD 7870 (Boost Edition Tahiti LE) graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 35 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12...
For a system using a single reference clocked Radeon HD 7870 (Boost Edition Tahiti LE) graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 35 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze 620W power supply (SS-620GB), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 48 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7870 (Boost Edition Tahiti LE) graphics card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096

The XFX 550W Core Edition Full Wired (Bronze) power supply (P1-550S-XXB9), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 44 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7870 (Boost Edition Tahiti LE) graphics card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

Both power supplies have more than enough spare capacity to handle overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU.

Solution