Sign in with
Your question

Linksys wrt54g2 will not obtain ip

Last response: in Networking
October 2, 2011 7:37:27 AM

Hello,

I am having some issues with my linksys wrt54g2. I have had this router for several months and it has always worked perfectly. I moved into a new house this week and my isp (charter communications) came out today to transfer my service to my new residence. Ever since, I cannot connect to the internet when connected to my wireless router on any device. I can connect to the internet if I connect my laptop directly to the modem. I have checked through every single bit of configuration in the routers interface and even restored it to factory defaults a few timese, with no luck. When I check the status tab in my router interface, I still have no ip address. Charter refuses to help because the router isn't theirs, and cisco won't help because the router is out of warranty. If anyone has any insight or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

More about : linksys wrt54g2 obtain

October 3, 2011 2:17:08 PM

That's a tough one, there could be a couple of issues,
1. Does the ISP modem have a wireless router built in? If so I've seen where the ISP will use there modem as the router and just plug into the lan on your router, this can cause a lot of issues.
2. Do you see you SSID on your wireless device router? Do you see another SSID with the same strength, this could point to the modem having a wireless router built in.
m
l
October 4, 2011 5:23:51 AM

The modem is just a cable modem. I made sure to specify that Ihad my own router when I ordered my service.
m
l
Related resources
October 4, 2011 6:07:39 AM

Is there an IP conflict between the cable modem and the wireless router?
m
l
October 6, 2011 4:19:15 PM

Have you checked the SSID to make sure you are in-fact connecting to your wireless network?
m
l
October 6, 2011 10:24:36 PM

Yes i was connected to the network and no there was no ip conflict. What I was wondering is if anyone had experienced this problem before and if there was a common problem that would keep this particular router from obtaining its IP (i.e. a firmware upgrade etc.). I have since replaced the router with a netgear router and everything works fine. What really gets me is that this router was functioning perfectly until I moved it to my new residence and had my service transferred.
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:55:01 PM

I am having the same issue now with my linksys WRT54G2 router! The only difference is that I moved it from the bedroom to the living room. I only am able to connect if I am in the living room. As soon as I go into a different room the connection cuts off!!! I am thinking of buying a new router but would love to save some money if this is just a simple fix! It is very frustrating... :fou: 
m
l
August 9, 2012 12:06:59 AM

I know my thread here is almost a year old, and as stated I have since replaced my router, but I figured I would add a bit of info in case anyone was still interested in solving this.

One thing I would like to note is that in my routers configuration home page, where you can see the routers own IP, subnet, and gateway configuration, it is set to "obtain IP settings from service provider" and the ip, mask, and gateway are all 0.0.0.0, whereas before they would have values.

This was not an issue with my devices connecting to the network but rather an issue with the router obtaining IP settings and thus being able to connect to the internet.
m
l
August 9, 2012 1:20:39 AM

djedlive said:
I am having the same issue now with my linksys WRT54G2 router! The only difference is that I moved it from the bedroom to the living room. I only am able to connect if I am in the living room. As soon as I go into a different room the connection cuts off!!! I am thinking of buying a new router but would love to save some money if this is just a simple fix! It is very frustrating... :fou: 

As jscochrum has stated in his most recent post, for him the connection to the ISP (over the WAN) is NEVER established. But you’re claiming you only have an issue w/ wireless when in different rooms, which implies the WAN connection to the ISP *does* get established. So it would appear we’re dealing w/ different problems here.

What I would do first is update to the latest Linksys firmware. If you already have, or do, and it doesn't help, you might be able to install dd-wrt/tomato (third party firmware) instead. Just depends on the hardware version you have. Some are supported, some not. You'd need to check their respective databases. Sometimes third party firmware can breathe new life into the router.
m
l
August 9, 2012 4:35:16 AM

djedlive said:

Also, you stated that you had the router in your bedroom prior to moving it to your living room. Were there any of the same issues while it was in your bedroom? A few other questions you may want to ask yourself:

- are there any wireless devices in your living room that may interfere with the radio signals from the router that did not exist in your bedroom?
- Is your router positioned against an exterior wall in your living room, but positioned in a central area or against an interior wall in your bedroom?
- If you live in an older house, do your walls contain lead or any other material that may distort the radio waves?
m
l
August 13, 2012 6:59:25 PM

FYI... for those who are still pondering over this issue: I decided to fool around with the router once more today out of pure boredom. I switched the internet connection mode from dhcp to static IP and then back, and that fixed the problem. Not sure WHY exactly, but works for me either way.
m
l
!