Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which Gtx 670?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 17, 2012 2:30:05 AM

GTX 670: Gigabyte N670OC-2GD

or

Evga gtx 670 ftw


EVGA has a higher clock but ive heard this gigabyte has better cooling. Also heard the FTW edition is having someissues here and there likt he SC version it replaced.

More about : gtx 670

a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 2:32:33 AM

I would prefer the Gigabyte version due to its better cooling :)  it'll be quieter as well.
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 2:32:37 AM

Ive bought EVGA for since for 4 years, now that they did away with lifetime warranty I was gonan try a new brand. I am not familiar with the gigabyte version. Is the name as good in quality?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 2:41:00 AM

reshasha said:
Ive bought EVGA for since for 4 years, now that they did away with lifetime warranty I was gonan try a new brand. I am not familiar with the gigabyte version. Is the name as good in quality?

Gigabyte is a decent company from personal experience, I've never had any problems with them. Though given the option, I would definitely prefer something from ASUS or MSI :lol:  . Again, just a personal preference.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 2:50:34 AM

Uh........... GTX 670 FTW without a doubt.....

GTX 670 FTW uses the GTX 680 board... which more than makes up for a slightly worse cooling solution...
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 2:54:12 AM

even with the problems the ftw's are having in the second batch?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 2:59:54 AM

reshasha said:
even with the problems the ftw's are having in the second batch?


Thought that was the SC+ and not FTW. Haven't had any problems with mine so far...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 3:00:10 AM

my vote goes to MSi lightning or power oc edition,asus dcii top and gigabyte windforce x3.
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 3:10:53 AM

Thanks for the advice Ill look at all the models. Im trying to stay around the 399 mark
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 3:26:21 AM

MSI makes good cards and they are pretty good too, the OC edition of the 670 from MSI is pretty big but it stays cooler. I myself am torn between which 670 to get or the 7950 since the price drops on them. Newegg has a coupon code for the VisionTek 7970 that brings it down to $360.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 3:55:38 AM

most of the newegg and amazon reviews are useless.in most of the cases,people make mistakes and blame the product.it's always better to checkout reviews from expert review sites.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 4:10:02 AM

I am debating between MSI N670PE/OC & EVGA GTX 670FTW as well.

On the one hand PE have a better Stock clock(worse boost block on paper but I read review where it auto boost into the 1.1-1.2 Ghz range on its own which surpasses FTW) and is custom fan cooled(heats up mobo but keep itself cool, need open air case), on the other hand EVGA have better boost clock, is $5 cheaper(plus don't have to worry about the rebate), and backed up by EVGA's customer service system + the Step up program+ Blower cooled(you can set up fans to help it cool/don't dirupt positive air flow design).

If there is a review where they went head to head it would be easier to decide but so far I haven't found one, popularity wise I see EVGA outselling MSI by a mile. I am not that interested with the Gigabyte as their stock clock is below Ghz.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 4:13:41 AM

Those are known to be the best right now, EVGA FTW, ASUS TOP, and MSI. Although the Gigabyte model is also nice too. EVGA customer service is good but looks like ASUS is keeping up on that too. Tough choice..I will have to also go with whatever fits in my case. I wouldn't want to spend more than 399 but if ASUS is $419 I would probably spend the extra 60 and get the 680 :/ 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 4:21:03 AM

selayan said:
Those are known to be the best right now, EVGA FTW, ASUS TOP, and MSI. Although the Gigabyte model is also nice too. EVGA customer service is good but looks like ASUS is keeping up on that too. Tough choice..I will have to also go with whatever fits in my case. I wouldn't want to spend more than 399 but if ASUS is $419 I would probably spend the extra 60 and get the 680 :/ 



This is what you get when you serach for ASUS DC2T on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

The 670 DC2T(top) have been sold out a long time ago as they were the best of the best GTX670 chips hand picked by ASUS, which is why they out-perform over cards in tests. When you serach ASUS GTX 670 now this is what you get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Notice it is DC2, no T(for top), the DC2T model is no longer avliable and ASUS shown no intention to restock at all.

Regarding what fits you case: FTW is the shortest of the three at 10" flat and will fit in the some of tightest of cases even with the HDD cage attached(10.8"), MSI is 10.5", ASUS DC2 is 10.7". All of them will do fine if your mid tower case have a removable HDD and most Full tower have more than 12" avaliable for the GPU.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 4:21:21 AM

evga ftw has 680 pcb and faster clock rates but reference cooler is simply not good enough to compete with custom heatsinks.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 4:26:05 AM

hellfire24 said:
evga ftw has 680 pcb and faster clock rates but reference cooler is simply not good enough to compete with custom heatsinks.



So according to your list I should rob someone for their DC2T(sold out everywhere with no sign of restocking) over buying a MSI N670PE/OC?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 4:29:22 AM

sherlockwing said:
This is what you get when you serach for ASUS DC2T on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

The 670 DC2T(top) have been sold out a long time ago as they were the best of the best GTX670 chips hand picked by ASUS, which is why they out-perform over cards in tests. When you serach ASUS GTX 670 now this is what you get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Notice it is DC2, no T(for top), the DC2T model is no longer avliable and ASUS shown no intention to restock at all.

Regarding what fits you case: FTW is the shortest of the three at 10" flat and will fit in the some of tightest of cases even with the HDD cage attached(10.8"), MSI is 10.5", ASUS DC2 is 10.7". All of them will do fine if your mid tower case have a removable HDD and most Full tower have more than 12" avaliable for the GPU.


My case is roswell Challenger and according to Tom's review of it, they fit a gtx 280 in there I believe that was 10.5 inches. So the TOP model if I could find one would squeeze in. Case metrics says cards up to 11 and 3/8" but HD cage is non removable I believe.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 4:30:56 AM

sherlockwing said:
So according to your list I should rob someone for their DC2T(sold out everywhere with no sign of restocking) over buying a MSI N670PE/OC?


oh crap! sorry brother i didn't know that it's out of stock :sweat: 
MSi power oc edition is the way to go.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 4:37:29 AM

selayan said:
You mean this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This should fit my case but the price..hmm thinking 680 now lol


670-> 680 is not worth the extra $100+ you pay, the performance boost(10-15% max, is not proportional to the 25% extra you pay in dollars), If you have the extra money to burn I'd save it for a 670 SLI.

Plus the Price ($429.99) comes with a $25 rebate card, so in reality you are only spending $404.99 or $5 more than the 399.99 FTW or Windforce(both are still good buys imo).
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 4:39:12 AM

^+1
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 4:39:29 AM

Yeh so that leaves the 670 for me my choices I guess are in terms of size either EVGA FTW, there is also the FTW PE or the MSI version that is $399. I will be upset if I get that one and it doesn't fit as I am about to move and getting a new case and switching it out is gonna be a pain this week.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 4:44:01 AM

selayan said:
Yeh so that leaves the 670 for me my choices I guess are in terms of size either EVGA FTW, there is also the FTW PE or the MSI version that is $399. I will be upset if I get that one and it doesn't fit as I am about to move and getting a new case and switching it out is gonna be a pain this week.



Search youtube for the review of the case you want as the reviewer will show you what size of GPU would fit, most case can fit a 10.7" ASUS DC2 (MSI PE/OC is 10.5", FTW is 10" flat) no problem and you can remove one of the HDD cage so you can fit even those 12"+ GPUs. On newegg they list the GPU length clearance for most Cases, just check that with the length of your GPU which is also avaliable on newegg.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 4:46:31 AM

what case you are using?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 5:49:27 AM

Running an overclocked processor?

The non reference style coolers blow back hot air into the case. Whereas reference exhausts it out the back where the I/O is. Just keep that in mind. I'm running the DCT and it just bugs me that my system/cpu is a bit hotter than when I had the reference 680 in my system.

EVGA FTW gets my vote
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 6:05:01 AM

I bought an Asus GTX 670 DCII Top, no regrets at all. No issues at all, and deadly silent. Literally I have the most powerful and most silent PC in the house. It has GREAT overclocking potential too.

Overall build quality is really nice, with a custom cooler and a backplate on it. Its probably one of the best GPUs there is.

I recommend it!!!!!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 6:18:12 AM

ohyouknow said:
Running an overclocked processor?

The non reference style coolers blow back hot air into the case. Whereas reference exhausts it out the back where the I/O is. Just keep that in mind. I'm running the DCT and it just bugs me that my system/cpu is a bit hotter than when I had the reference 680 in my system.

EVGA FTW gets my vote


This is a big advantage for the FTW espically in closed/postive air flow case such as the Franctic Design Define series and you can boost this "blower effect" by installing an intake fan on the side panel.

However for custom cooler such as Top/PE this problem is not significant as long as your case have strong airflow. You can even mitigated it by having an exhaust fan on the left side panel of your case(Cases such as Corsair 500R/most full tower cases comes with a left side exhaust fan, other mid towers you can install one yourself) to pull the custom cooler's exhaust out of the case.).




I bought an Asus GTX 670 DCII Top, no regrets at all. No issues at all, and deadly silent. Literally I have the most powerful and most silent PC in the house. It has GREAT overclocking potential too.

Overall build quality is really nice, with a custom cooler and a backplate on it. Its probably one of the best GPUs there is.

I recommend it!!!!! said:


I bought an Asus GTX 670 DCII Top, no regrets at all. No issues at all, and deadly silent. Literally I have the most powerful and most silent PC in the house. It has GREAT overclocking potential too.

Overall build quality is really nice, with a custom cooler and a backplate on it. Its probably one of the best GPUs there is.

I recommend it!!!!!


As mentioned before DC2Top 670(labeled DC2T) have been out of stock for a while now and ASUS have made no attempt to restock them. While Top is still the King of the Hill in term of pure quality, it is no longer a recommended buy since you can't buy it anywhere.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 6:26:09 AM

let's stop talking about DCIITOP,it's out of stock everywhere.
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 6:51:02 AM

hellfire24 said:
let's stop talking about DCIITOP,it's out of stock everywhere.


There is a reason its out of stock, its popular. ;) 
I once saw it come in stock one evening for newegg, then the next morning it was out of stock again.

The non TOP version is just as good however and more available, just a slightly lower clock.
If you cant get your hands on that either, then go with the Gigabyte. Its the second best in noise, and probably has the same quality and performance.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 7:04:41 AM

jase240 said:
There is a reason its out of stock, its popular. ;) 
I once saw it come in stock one evening for newegg, then the next morning it was out of stock again.

The non TOP version is just as good however and more available, just a slightly lower clock.
If you cant get your hands on that either, then go with the Gigabyte. Its the second best in noise, and probably has the same quality and performance.


You don't seem to get when they are called "Top", the Top are A+++++ chips that ASUS selected through factory OCing testing every chip they get from Nvidia, those "Top" are the cream of the crop chips so the non Top A/A-/B+ chips can't be as "just as good" as you claim they are.

ASUS Top sells out really fast because there the selection process is so hard,, plus the supply for GK104 chips have always been limited. their popularity might be part of it but not the key to why they always sell out so fast.

Whether MSI PE/OC or Gigbyte OC2-GD belongs in the second slot is up to debate, I personally prefer PE/OC's higher Stock Clock(1019 vs 980) and Boost Clock, also PE/OC seems to do better in reviews than OC2, I have seem a few review mentioning PE/OC surpassing its claimed Boost clock of 1079 Mhz and go into 1.1-1.2 Ghz range without manual overclocking.
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 7:10:49 AM

sherlockwing said:
You don't seem to get when they are called "Top", the Top are A+++++ chips that ASUS selected through factory OCing every chip they get from Navida, those "Top" are the cream of the crop chips so the non Top A/A-/B+ chips can't be as "just as good" as you claim they are.

ASUS Top sells out really fast because there the selection process is so hard,, plus the supply for GK104 chips have always been limited. their popularity might be part of it but not the key to why they always sell out so fast.

Whether MSI PE/OC or Gigbyte Windforce belongs in the second slot is up to debate, I personally prefer PE/OC's higher Stock Clock(1019 vs 980) and Boost Clock.


Actually the quality of the chip is usually luck of the draw, the only thing about the TOP cards is they are slightly higher binned. That does not mean the actual performance will differ much, if at all.
Almost any 670 can overclock nicely with adequate cooling, but even then whos going to see a difference between the stock speed and the overclocked speed. The performance gain can be minimal by a margin of error in some games. Yes it will make a difference at resolutions higher than 1080p but not by a giant leap.

Also no offense but your not in a place to trade blows if you don't even know how to spell Nvidia
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 7:21:56 AM

jase240 said:
Actually the quality of the chip is usually luck of the draw, the only thing about the TOP cards is they are slightly higher binned. That does not mean the actual performance will differ much, if at all.
Almost any 670 can overclock nicely with adequate cooling, but even then whos going to see a difference between the stock speed and the overclocked speed. The performance gain can be minimal by a margin of error in some games. Yes it will make a difference at resolutions higher than 1080p but not by a giant leap.

Also no offense but your not in a place to trade blows if you don't even know how to spell Nvidia



Blah, spelling Nazi picky over a typo, is this how low you are willing to go?

If quality of the chip is usually luck of the draw, then why do you recommend ASUS DC2 marked at 419.99 over Gigabyte marked at 399.99 or MSI PE marked at 404.99? If it is all a luck of the draw then why not buy the cheapest lottery ticket?

People buy Top over standard, and Top are always in shorter supply than standard for a reason: Tops on Average are better than non-Tops so people are willing to gamble when the odds is on their side.




Asus GTX 670 DCII Top

I recommend it!!!!! said:


Asus GTX 670 DCII Top

I recommend it!!!!!


p.s "trading blows" lol, You not me is the one who recommend people to buy a card that's out of stock for quite a while.
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 7:28:21 AM

sherlockwing said:
And Nvidia execs must love how you just got ATI their next customer.

If quality of the chip is usually luck of the draw, then why do you recommend ASUS DC2 marked at 419.99 over Gigabyte marked at 399.99 or MSI PE marked at 404.99? If it is all a luck of the draw then why not buy the cheapest lottery ticket?


I recommend it because of the cooler, its silent. None of the other cards compare to its noise at all. And the Asus card is a custom PCB and a backplate, its a little more efficient. Sure none of that really matters much on in-game performance, but it does help the lifespan of the components. The Asus has nice VRMs and many other components up to a higher quality than reference, all to improve both the overclocking potential and the lifespan of the GPU itself.

Its a small price to pay for silent performance, and many people hate loud whiny cards. And that price is why I said the Gigabyte as second best.

And I recommended an "out of stock for a while" GPU because I just recently bought it a few weeks ago, patience is not an all bad quality.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 7:40:27 AM

jase240 said:
I recommend it because of the cooler, its silent. None of the other cards compare to its noise at all. And the Asus card is a custom PCB and a backplate, its a little more efficient. Sure none of that really matters much on in-game performance, but it does help the lifespan of the components. The Asus has nice VRMs and many other components up to a higher quality than reference, all to improve both the overclocking potential and the lifespan of the GPU itself.

Its a small price to pay for silent performance, and many people hate loud whiny cards. And that price is why I said the Gigabyte as second best.


If you are willing to be picky over the a few dbz then feel free to get a silent case or better yet just use a headset on high volume as you wouldn't realize either. As far as lifespan of components, just grab a EVGA and step up to 770 next year for the difference in price, much more effective than keep using the same card for 4 years.

There is no tangible proof that ASUS last longer than MSI or Gigabyte(all offer 3 year warranty), don't pull the personal stories out because it differs for everyone. I for 1 will not pay for a $20 mark up for just custom cooler & back plate with no factory OC : Listed on Newegg.com, DC2(non-top) have the Core clock 915Hz and Boost clock 980Hz, that's the same as the reference GTX670.

Should I remind you again that you claimed a card with Core clock of 915(the non-Top) as "just as good" as the Top with Core Clock of 1058.
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 7:56:22 AM

And its all just opinions, The non-top card is the same cooler, and design. A minor overclock allows it to compare just as good, even though I already stated that the default clock speed does not affect your game performance by much if at all.

Your arguing is getting out of hand, please calm down on the forums. We are posting our opinions to be HELPFUL not make him regret ever coming on here. No one card is the BEST, but many are the BEST to OURSELVES. Its all just an opinion, please let the one who asked the question be who decides what card is the best for him/her out of our experiences, reviews, and opinions.

This is pointless, I never said the Asus card was a winner for everyone. I only said its the best in noise and best in my opinion, and suggested a second best based on the same grounds.

I tried to prove my point, but I can see you just want to flame on here. Please just put in your opinion and respect others, for example I honestly do agree EVGA is great in both quality and because of their buy back program, however I did not like the noise. And I tried to point out what may be the better one in my opinion.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 10:10:28 AM

note: every card does not overclocks equally.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 3:35:08 PM

the case is good enough,just wait for a week and let's see.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 3:42:56 PM

How long has it been out of stock. If more than 2 weeks I don't know if they will even stock them anymore.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 5:39:34 PM

check out this topic, it is on a similar subject. A few pro FTW comments there:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1274209/buying-a-gtx-670-wit....

Top 670 have been out of stock for 3 weeks minimum(I checked 3 weeks ago and it was out of stock then), and with ASUS busy rolling out 660 Top I don't see them restocking anytime soon.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 5:43:57 PM

Yeh people over there are trying to convince me to the 7970 Ghz model too lol
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 5:52:53 PM

selayan said:
Yeh people over there are trying to convince me to the 7970 Ghz model too lol


The 7970 Ghz model in the $450 range+ might be a better price/performance choice than GTX680, but you lose Nivida based support for things like 3D Vision2(replaced by HD3D), CUDA core & PhsyicsX, plus certain high end monitor(like ASUS 120hz )are best paired with Nvidia, if you are switching keep that in mind.

However I think 670 is still better in term of price/performance and priced in the low 400 range . If you don't care about spending an extra $40 then consider 7970. Check this for reference : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 5:59:38 PM

Yeh my budget with what I sold my 560Ti for is close to $300-400. I'm not convinced on the 7970 besides, it would not fit in my roswell challenger I bet. I like better, but I also like saving money.
m
0
l
!