Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
i need a soundcard for my pc
here's what i have:

amd 1.4Ghz 266 fsb
abit kg7 raid
400 watt psu
windows 98se
i want a simple soundcard that won't cause any conflicts in my system. i keep hearing about problems with soundcards not communicating well with mobos using the via/amd chipsets. i would like to keep things simple and cheap. under 50 bucks maybe? any suggestions?
thanks for any responses!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Hercules Fortissimo II from <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=57&manufactory=1282" target="_new">here</A> for $38. You can read David Stellmack's review here at Tom's.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

DISTURBED

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
The Fortissimo 2 drivers that are out now are HORRIBLE (I've got this SC), new ones come out the same day as Windows XP hits the shelves...

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah? I haven't heard anything about that. David mentioned some small problems with the GTXP drivers in his review. When I got the card, I could hardly do anything until I got the newer drivers. He seemed to downplay the trouble for that card, but I don't recall him talking about any driver trouble with the Fortissimo II. That's odd.

What problems are you having? (I'll agree, Hercules sound card drivers are not the best).

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
After lots of hassle with SBLive cards I slapped a Hercules Fortissimo II in an Aopen AK33 based PC.

Can't fault it, excellent quality for the price.

Your mileage may vary, of course...