Solved

D-link router di 624 wireless problem after power failure

Hello,

Our D-Link wireless router; #DI 624 is not functioning in the wireless mode. We just had a power failure for about 3 hours. The hard wired connections work fine. Also cannot reach or view the router via the IP address either?
We am afraid to press the reset button for fear it will cause new problems with the hard wired connection which is working for now.

Yes, we tried unplugging etc., still no change.

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

Joe Gorman
Reply to Joegorman
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about link router wireless problem power failure
  1. Best answer
    Power outages can mess with things a bit. I would tell you the first place to check would be the wireless settings but it seems that you cannot access them. Did you check to make 100% sure you are using the correct IP adddress to access the router settings? (by typing ipconfig/all at a command prompt and looking at the default gateway)

Really the only other thing i could think of doing other than just replacing it is trying to hold the reset button for about 30 seconds. If you want your wireless back it is worth a try before you spend any money on new equipment.
    Reply to steimy
  2. Any router you're afraid to reset isn't worth keeping.
    Reply to eibgrad
  3. steimy said:
    Power outages can mess with things a bit. I would tell you the first place to check would be the wireless settings but it seems that you cannot access them. Did you check to make 100% sure you are using the correct IP adddress to access the router settings? (by typing ipconfig/all at a command prompt and looking at the default gateway)

Really the only other thing i could think of doing other than just replacing it is trying to hold the reset button for about 30 seconds. If you want your wireless back it is worth a try before you spend any money on new equipment.

Hello Steimy,
    Thank you very much for your kind reply and assistance.
    Reply to Joegorman
  4. Best answer selected by Joegorman.
    Reply to Joegorman
  5. Interesting. I had a similar router (DI-724U) fail in exactly the same way - twice - with two of the same brick. The model # of my D-Link power brick is M1-12S05. I had two of them from two similar D-link routers. The first one went bad after I unplugged it for a couple hours. When I plugged it back in, the router had no signs of life at all. Checking the output of the brick with a DMM, I got maybe a 0.5V, or it might have been lower. The first time, I just replaced the brick with the other one, which was not in use.
    So now, this brick was working for nearly 18 months. Today I had to replace a circuit breaker, so I shut off the mains for about 5 minutes. When I returned to my computer, the router was dead. Same thing with the brick.

Since I didn't have another one, I performed a "MacGyver" on a spare iPod cable and a generic 5V USB supply. I just spliced the DI-724U power cable to the iPod cable and plugged it into the USB brick. Works fine. The USB brick has an output of only 0.7A, while the D-Link had 2.5A, but I cannot imagine the router needing more than 0.5A, and it seems to be working. Brick isn't getting very warm at all. But I think I will still buy a heavier one. Never know when it might come in handy again...
    Reply to ultrarunner100
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Connectivity Wireless Routers D-Link Wireless Router Power Wireless Networking