Sound Card for Electronic Music Production

Basserra

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Hi, so I'm looking into getting a sound card for not only Gaming, Movies and listening to Music, but making Music also. (all in a DAW) Now I'm not very far into being a producer, but I love Electronic music and I'm an audiophile. To get to the question at hand, I need some more information like. Do I need an external sound card or will an internal discrete card work? As far as internal go, are Sound Blaster Zx-ZxR series good cards and the ACM a decent mic with possible minor voice recording? And for external I know almost nothing about 'em. Oh and for $$ range, I'm not a prodigy so I don't need a high dollar card but I will go as far as $300 or higher because time isn't a must here

Thanks for reading :p

A soundcard is not necessary for making music per se; thats the domain of software. That being said, if you are connecting various MIDI devices, you want a soundcard with those types of hookups.

As far as audio INPUT goes, consumer soundcards are crap. They aren't designed around audio input. Professional cards do better at this [M-Audio and others].

Basserra

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
OK so some more reading around the internet and a sound card is not required but does improve the sound. So I was thinking maybe I'll pick up some studio monitors regardless then maybe a mid to high range card? Also I don't 'need' MIDI interface cause I have two low end keyboards that run through USB currently. Although I would like to get into some vocal recording much later so that doesn't matter right now, what does, is that I would like to connect my Bass guitar for reference 'not recording' I don't need to record instruments because I've got a DAW and VSTs. What are some of your guys thoughts and opinions on this?

Also sorry for such a huge gap of no posts

darth banus

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013

Hey mate, some bad info here. You need a good sound card to get low latency out of your vst's and vsti's producing on these without low latency is going to suck and these things are the backbone of writing. So much to learn! hang in there... Key thing to look for is "low latency" think external is going to be your best choice.

nkjames

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Hey man!

I am getting into some electronic music production myself and some gaming so I'm planning on getting a sound blaster z and a professional grade audio interface. Here's an awesome list I found for the home studio:

http://www.djtechtools.com/2013/05/22/home-studio-production-sound-cards-under-1000/

I'm planning on getting the Akai EIE.

Hope this Helps!

Nik