Computer Restarting During some Games

revolution2718

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
So randomly during Far Cry 3 and Planetside 2 my computer is shutting itself off and restarting. This is the first game this has happened with, I have been able to run skyrim, startcraft, battlefield 3, etc at high settings with no issue.

Specs are:

Intel Core i5-2500 3.3GHz
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB SSD
1TB Seagate Barracuda // ASRock Z68 PRO3

The PSU is a Silverstone 500W linked below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817256061
------------

I have already updated to most recent drivers. Also have measure the temp, it was at 66C last time it restarted. I have also flashed the bios. I thought that this solved the issue but it did not.

Is the PSU just not putting out enough juice? Or could it be something else?

Solution
Although the Silverstone should be okay, I'm going to suggest you borrow a PSU or try a spare if you have one. If the system is simply restarting without a BSOD, I found it to often be PSU related since the system doesn't have power for a shutdown or to create a dmp file. It's not a given that that is the problem but... have you had it a year yet?

drg889

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Check for overheating. Programs like CoreTemp to see how high it gets during gaming or running a stress test like Prime95. Also something to check your CPU temp (i use Precision from EVGA, not sure if it works with other companies/brands).

Either that, or maybe when gaming, your PSU can't handle the load of power it requires (but i didn't check the PSU or GPU wattage requirements, so you could double check that)

rawens-ward

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
well first question is it 66C full load or idle,if idle thats hot if not then you are ok.
560 ti does not use lots of power it has better consumption 400 series and most 500 series ,do you overclock.500w is to say close call but silverstone its decent company.

revolution2718

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I just cleaned it out.

I just logged the temps when Planetside 2 forced the restart, the GPU was at 48C and the CPU was at 40. It restarted about 30 secs into the game.

Nothing is overclocked. Just for comparison the GPU idles at 34 and the CPU at 30

Although the Silverstone should be okay, I'm going to suggest you borrow a PSU or try a spare if you have one. If the system is simply restarting without a BSOD, I found it to often be PSU related since the system doesn't have power for a shutdown or to create a dmp file. It's not a given that that is the problem but... have you had it a year yet?

Solution