UPS for Tri-Sli? Overload?

thepregnantgod

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Sorry if this is the wrong forum...

I finally built my Tri-Sli machine GTX570x3 attached to a Z68 mobo/4.7ghz OC'd i7 3770.

I fired up a game and immediately my APC XS 1500 (865watts) started screaming/beeping, etc. So...I broke down and bought another UPS so I could plug the monitors/modem/speakers, lamp, etc. into one UPS and leave just the computer attached to the other one.

It still screams - I'm using 750 watts under graphic load and am not sure what to do. I know I'm not the only one with a tri-sli build but am I the only tri-sli build attached to a sub $500 UPS? (or pair of them in my case?)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
How old is your APC XS1500? Also this unit has a waveform that is stepped approximation to sine wave, which some power supplies do nto like. My point is you should check out your make and model of power supply and contact the company and see what they recomend for power protection.

thepregnantgod

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010

I'll admit my foolishness...turns out that though my UPS was working at max load - it wasn't the one throwing off the beep. I had a W7 gpu gadget to monitor it with an alarm (I did not know of) that would beep as the card went over 80C. Of course, this always happened at the same time as my UPS started to show on its LCD - overload...

So, problem fixed. I got two UPSes - one for everything else and one for the PC. I'm still amazed that I can pull nearly 1100 watts with my setup...but the man who dies with the fastest system wins right?