Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$3000 Gaming PC build. What do you think?

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 8, 2012 11:13:06 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jL1Y

Any incompatibilities and or ways to improve for same cost?

More about : 3000 gaming build

a b 4 Gaming
October 8, 2012 11:18:59 PM

Spend less on the case, more on the motherboard - you don't buy an amazing CPU and get a low-end budget board.
m
0
l
October 8, 2012 11:20:04 PM

Will that board bottleneck my cpu or gpu or gaming in any way?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
October 8, 2012 11:22:46 PM

A couple of suggestions:
CM PSUs aren't particularly high quality; get Corsair, PCP&C, Enermax, Seasonic, OCZ, XFX, or a few others.

ASRock motherboards are fine; and there is no need for much more expensive boards.

See if you can find less expensive 670s - you don't need 4GB at 1080p and 120Hz makes no difference to VRAM required.

Get a better cooler so you can overclock further - you need a lot of CPU power at 120Hz
m
0
l
October 8, 2012 11:27:38 PM

Alright. Now I am thinking of going with an 850w corsair psu and using the extra money on a noctua d14. Think it is a good idea? Also, I am one of the few who genuinely requires 4gb of vram because of the ridiculously high number of very high res mods I will be installing on Skyrim and some other games. I plan on downloading as much as possible and a friend of mine has reached 2.5gb of vram by doing the same.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 8, 2012 11:31:38 PM

Sounds good then. Other option is a pair of 7970s, which have 3GB but more memory bandwidth and generally faster and overclock better. Make sure the PSU has at least 4 PCIe cables.
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 1:01:49 AM

Your video cards are too expensive you would be better off with 2X 7970's for cheaper. Coolmaster Silent pro Gold PSU's are just fine, though an Antec-900 is better and only $110. Asrock is an ok board definitely for penny pinchers, it should handle crossfire and SLI just fine however.
m
0
l
a c 278 4 Gaming
October 9, 2012 1:41:04 AM

johnnyboy128 said:
Alright. Now I am thinking of going with an 850w corsair psu and using the extra money on a noctua d14. Think it is a good idea? Also, I am one of the few who genuinely requires 4gb of vram because of the ridiculously high number of very high res mods I will be installing on Skyrim and some other games. I plan on downloading as much as possible and a friend of mine has reached 2.5gb of vram by doing the same.


Yes both of those are wise decisions. Alternately consider the Seasonic X850 Gold.

And instead of the Galaxy GPU go with the Gigabyte - better cooling solution for the same price.

And then make sure that Vengeance RAM is low profile.

Quote:
Spend less on the case, more on the motherboard - you don't buy an amazing CPU and get a low-end budget board.


That Asrock board is fine. I'd personally go for the Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH on that kind of budget. The Cooler Master HAF XM for less money but still the same case.

Quote:


Your video cards are too expensive you would be better off with 2X 7970's for cheaper. Coolmaster Silent pro Gold PSU's are just fine, though an Antec-900 is better and only $110. Asrock is an ok board definitely for penny pinchers, it should handle crossfire and SLI just fine however.


No they aren't - check the reviews on Hardware Secrets or Jonnyguru - they are not well liked among people who really know PSUs.

And the Antec 900 is a horrible case choice - it's several generations old now and has no cable management. The Antec 1100 is newer, supports larger motherboards, has great cable management and USB 3.0 support.
m
0
l
!