Sign in with
Your question

Which to get - 660ti / 7870 / 7950

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 17, 2012 3:42:01 AM

I've been waiting for some 6 months for the 660ti to come out to give Nvidia a chance to take my money (my GPU has been the bottleneck in my PC for a long time now) since I thought the 660ti would be as awesome as the 560ti was when it came out. I've been reading around today (people's reviews, ect), it doesn't sound nearly as amazing as I expected. AMD actually seems a bit better at the moment, the 660ti seems to compete with the 7950 on some levels, but be worse than the 7870 on others. Is it still worth it? Will drivers improve the 660ti as much as AMDs drivers do for their cars?

I'm definitely in the market for a new GPU, my budget being around the £250 mark (plus or minus a bit, though not enough to stretch to the 670). So really it's between 7870, 660ti and 7950.

Another question, does TXAA tax the memory as much as MSAA? I only ask as I read that MSAA really hurts the 660ti with its lower memory bandwidth, with TXAA turned on, is this less of an issue?

Thanks in advance :D 

More about : 660ti 7870 7950

August 17, 2012 3:48:57 AM

Are you looking to overclock at all?
August 17, 2012 3:55:49 AM

id say 7950 and overclock it
Related resources
August 17, 2012 3:58:27 AM

viridiancrystal said:
Are you looking to overclock at all?

Willing too, but I find noise to be quite annoying (haven't got noise cancelling headphones yet...). So as long as it's not too noisy because of the overclock, I'm all for it.
August 17, 2012 4:01:50 AM

I would go with the 7950 my second choice would be 660 TI
August 17, 2012 4:06:59 AM

Get a 7950 and OC it. Asus's and HIS's coolers are great.
August 17, 2012 4:10:57 AM

The 7950 with asus and HIS coolers are silent for OC and will you a perfomance close to the 670 , on the other hand the 660 is no good for OC .
The ram is big for 7950 which is future proof for newer games.
The 7950 is better at the end.
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 4:15:49 AM

It mostly depends on what games you play. I would get the 660 ti becauseit's the best out of the three in Battlefield 3, which is the game I mostly play. It also has adaptive vsync, which I love.
August 17, 2012 4:21:06 AM

adaptive vsync doesn't interest me a huge amount - TXAA is what was making me interested in nvidia mostly, >8xMSAA quality for 4xMSAA performance sounds amazing.

As for the 7950 - People seem to think going for ASUS / HIS - ASUS I can understand, heard lots of good stuff about them, but HIS? What's their warranty like, ect?

For the ASUS I assume you're talking about the Direct CU II. How about HIS? Is the iceQ the only one they do? How can that be such a good cooler with just a single small fan?
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 4:28:51 AM

hero9989 said:
adaptive vsync doesn't interest me a huge amount - TXAA is what was making me interested in nvidia mostly, >8xMSAA quality for 4xMSAA performance sounds amazing.

As for the 7950 - People seem to think going for ASUS / HIS - ASUS I can understand, heard lots of good stuff about them, but HIS? What's their warranty like, ect?

For the ASUS I assume you're talking about the Direct CU II. How about HIS? Is the iceQ the only one they do? How can that be such a good cooler with just a single small fan?

What do you want play with this GPU? 660Ti wins on price, but 7950 is a higher level card and will definitely out perform it.
August 17, 2012 4:35:38 AM

envy14tpe said:
What do you want play with this GPU? 660Ti wins on price, but 7950 is a higher level card and will definitely out perform it.

No specific games to be honest, GW2 will be taking up most of my playtime in the coming couple of months, outside of that - anything from Deus Ex, to Battlefield 3/Crysis 2 (and crysis 3 next year), I want it to be an all rounder, not just for nvidia optimised games or AMD optimised games (sorry to be awkward :p  ).

Monitor/TV is 1080p and 3D capable but I've been thinking about possibly trying out eyefinity/nvidia surround for a while (not going to pay a huge amount extra though for enough performance for that, since it may just be a passing interest yet and I could possibly go for crossfire/SLI should that need arise (though I will say I'd rather stay away from multi-GPU if possible).
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 5:22:10 AM

people tend to forget that the current gpu landscape has prevalent price fixing between the 2 camps.

on one side you have nvidia selling the shouldve-been 660ti chip as the 680 and AMD playing the dumbdown "ghz" monicker to keep up.

id say if you have a 560ti stick with it just a bit more till cards get more realistically price/perf feasible.
a c 607 U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 5:59:52 AM

hero9989 said:
No specific games to be honest, GW2 will be taking up most of my playtime in the coming couple of months, outside of that - anything from Deus Ex, to Battlefield 3/Crysis 2 (and crysis 3 next year), I want it to be an all rounder, not just for nvidia optimised games or AMD optimised games (sorry to be awkward :p  ).

Crysis 3 will likely support TXAA.
http://techreport.com/articles.x/22735/3
August 17, 2012 12:36:31 PM

wh3resmycar said:
people tend to forget that the current gpu landscape has prevalent price fixing between the 2 camps.

on one side you have nvidia selling the shouldve-been 660ti chip as the 680 and AMD playing the dumbdown "ghz" monicker to keep up.

id say if you have a 560ti stick with it just a bit more till cards get more realistically price/perf feasible.

I don't have a 560ti, I was just saying I was impressed with the 560ti when it came out. At the moment I have an AMD 5770, since I got that I've upgraded my entire PC around it and also got a new 3D 1080p monitor (from the 1280x1024 thing I had when I got the 5770 almost 3 years ago. The upgrade is getting pretty desperate at the moment :p 

17seconds said:
Crysis 3 will likely support TXAA.
http://techreport.com/articles.x/22735/3

That's good news, is TXAA something that has to be supported by games? I read somewhere that in some cases if it's enabled in the nvidia control panel it will just take over when you enable MSAA in games? Or is this just lies?
!