Sign in with
Your question

[HELP] First Gaming PC BUILD $1,200

Last response: in Systems
October 9, 2012 12:49:49 AM

I am trying to build my first gaming PC. Here is what I have so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jAWD

I was wondering if this would be a good gaming PC. Am I wasting money? Is there anywhere I can get something better? Etc. Let me know what I can do to make this PC the best. Also, would I just be better off buying a pre-made PC for what I am spending or is this custom better than most pre-built pc's for the price?

-Currently play a lot of Starcraft 2 but would like to be able to play FPS's such as battlefield 3 on high graphics.
-Want a gaming PC that will last for at least a few years before needing to upgrade
-Don't think I will overclock but that is partially because I don't understand the purpose of it.
-Plan on probably only using one monitor.
-Will probably watch movies on it.

THANKS!

LASTLY, is my PSU good enough for this PC or should I get more wattage??

More about : gaming build 200

October 9, 2012 1:28:18 AM

beegeepee said:
I am trying to build my first gaming PC. Here is what I have so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jAWD

I was wondering if this would be a good gaming PC. Am I wasting money? Is there anywhere I can get something better? Etc. Let me know what I can do to make this PC the best. Also, would I just be better off buying a pre-made PC for what I am spending or is this custom better than most pre-built pc's for the price?

-Currently play a lot of Starcraft 2 but would like to be able to play FPS's such as battlefield 3 on high graphics.
-Want a gaming PC that will last for at least a few years before needing to upgrade
-Don't think I will overclock but that is partially because I don't understand the purpose of it.
-Plan on probably only using one monitor.
-Will probably watch movies on it.

THANKS!

LASTLY, is my PSU good enough for this PC or should I get more wattage??

That PSU is probably a bare minimum. I would get at least a 700W or better. I would also get a modular supply as this will make building your system a LOT easier.

That looks to be a pretty roomy case with a cable management system behind the motherboard tray. I have the Cooler Master 690II Advanced USB 3.0 model and I really love it.

As far as video card, I prefer Nvidia. If you're going to drop that much cash on a video card, a GTX 670 with 4GB is ~ the same price, and IMO Nvidia has better video card drivers than AMD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would also get the OCZ Vertex 4 over the Samsung 830 and a 256GB model.

Your 1TB HDD can be upgraded to 2TB for $20 more.

The RAM is a little too small, I would go with 16GB minimum, and for ~$80 more you can get a Core i7 3770.

The great thing is that Z77 motherboards are very Linux friendly, my Asus P8Z77-V Pro Ubuntu 12.04 had all the drivers OOB.

m
l
October 9, 2012 1:45:56 AM

Great advice thank you.

- I originally had a 750W PSU. I was told I could cut it down. I ask others what they thought and it has been mixed answers. I was thinking more would be good in case I need to upgrade later + I won't be running it near max very much that way. So, I will consider your answer.

-I don't know much about cases, just that this seemed fairly good for the price and would fit my current components. I would definitely like suggestions for cases.

-Thought about Nvidia when I first started looking but was suggested the one I had listed. I will look into yours for sure thanks.

-Don't know the difference between OCV Vertex 4 and Samsung 830. I will look into that.

-I will run Winodws 7 and MAYBE install a linux based OS but I need to learn how to use them better. However, my main concern is processing Windows 7 (possibly Windows 8 if I like it).
m
l
!