Sign in with
Your question

Would this adapter work

Last response: in Systems
October 9, 2012 1:20:21 AM

Hello once again.

after my PSU burnt out (made a thread the other day about it) i had what i think is a good idea
first i will ask a question

what do the extra 4 pins on a 24 pin mobo do and what voltages are they

i ask this cause i think it would be cool if someone made an adapter. if you only have a 20 pin PSU but its like 500 watts and you have a 24 pin mobo then this adapter would be helpful

so basically what im think is you take one of the 4 pin molex connectors and put the adaptor on it and plug it into the 4 empty spots. i dont know what the voltage and stuff for them are and it would probably need some small box that has a regulator on it but could this work or is there more than just power going in the 24 pin plug

More about : adapter work

October 9, 2012 1:13:05 PM

the dapter you linked is worthless all it does is put something there if you look you can see there are no wires to the last 4 holes

this adapter i would want takes 1 or 2 of you 4 pin molex connectors and makes the extra power for the 4 pins so if you have a 20 pin PSU you can use a 24 pin mobo without problems
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2012 3:32:24 PM

chairsgotoschool said:
the dapter you linked is worthless all it does is put something there if you look you can see there are no wires to the last 4 holes

this adapter i would want takes 1 or 2 of you 4 pin molex connectors and makes the extra power for the 4 pins so if you have a 20 pin PSU you can use a 24 pin mobo without problems

Sorry, I must have mis-understood what it was you wanted.
m
l
October 9, 2012 9:02:13 PM

@clutchc you did post the same thing but it was a cheap version i guess. i dont know if the one bignastyid posted really does anything though. the adapter i was hoping for would use up 1 or 2 molex connectors to give the power to the 4 pins. ill look into if the one would work or if it just looks like it will
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2012 9:16:57 PM

Actually, mine was the reverse of the one bignastyid posted. Mine was for a 24 pin PSU to 20 pin board. bignastyid's was for a 20 pin PSU and 24 pin board.
m
l
October 9, 2012 9:49:41 PM

oh cant believe i didnt notice that. so that is nice but its the opposite. i read that 20 pin PSU to 24 pin mobo adapters arent very good. they can fry the PSU or mobo, its fine if you mobo requires the 4 pins but if not then dont use them. and dont use them if you need a dedicated GPU cause it will draw to much power. thats what a lot of people have said.
m
l
!