MSI Afterburner wont OC ATI 7970m

Tyharo

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Hi, I recently bought a brand new gaming laptop with an ATI 7970m. I've been trying to OC it because from what I've read It can be pushed alot farther and still be stable and cool. I installed MSI afterburner but when I open it my core and memory clocks are already at max, I can lower them just not increase them. I',ve tried changing the MSIAfterBurner.cfg file (UnofficialOverclockingEULA = 1
UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1)
But all that does is put all my clocks down to 0 and wont let me change them. I have the latest drivers and CCC.
Can anyone help me OC this card?

andiuk007

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
OP, I have sorted my overclocking problem, I think I went the long way about it but basicly CCC have removed 2 DLL files from their newer versions of CCC to stop us overclocking. What i did is.

1-uninstall msi afterburner
2-uninstall CCC
3-reboot windows
4-install CCC version 12.1 (important it is no newer that 12.1)
5-install msi afterburner
6-unlock the clocks in config (which you knw how to do as it OP)
7-reboot windows
8-go into CCC and check for updates and update to the newest drivers
9-reboot windows and fry the *** out of your expensive GPU lol

Their must a quicker solution but this worked brill for me, good luck pal ;)

Kiiro Neko

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
What model laptop is it?

Most laptop cards are manufactured for a specific motherboard, thus other cards have to be created for other motherboards. So if you have an alienware 7970m it will more than likely differ from a Sager 7970m. You may have gotten a locked card or a card which the drivers have yet to support overclocking for.

Tyharo

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
I've figured it out! Since the ATI card is using switchable graphics, you cant OC it until the 7970m is active. So all I had to do was...
Edit the MSIAfterBurner.cfg file so allow unofficial overclocking then restart the software, open a game and then alt+tab out of it. Open MSI afterburner and it will let you adjust the clocks higher!
It was such a simple fix haha. :p