Computer boots up to the startup screen, then turns off

sillysoft

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
I have this computer for 6 years now and it finally crapped out on me the other day. Planning to use it as a media server. Anyway the other day I booted it up and it would start up but then within 5 seconds it would shut off and the light on the motherboard would turn off, then back on. I tried turning it on again and the same thing happen. I then just for the heck of it unplugged the cdrom and the computer booted up just fine and got to the windows boot screen, then it would shut down again. I tried booting up again and the initial issue would happen boot up for 5 seconds then shut off. Unplugged the power to the hdd and it would again boot up to the windows splash screen then shut down, boot up again and within 5 seconds computer would turn off. Tried different outlets and different power cables, all had the same outcome.

Current power supply is:

Raidmax 450W ATX12V RX-450K

Any other testing I can do? Or safe to say its the power supply? If you think its a power supply issue can you recommend a cheap power supply to replace it with I can order online?

Solution
try this..boot into the bios and see if it stays up and see if you can read the mb temp from the bios health screen if the mb has on. if the system still shuts down. bear bone it..no power to any of the drives..remove all the extra cards just have the ram..gpu...connected. if it still shuts off start with the ps.

sillysoft

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012

Yes I checked all the fans including the fans on the psu and they all work including the cpu fan, it turns on just fine the whole time its on and I tried moving the heatsink around and its on pretty tight, wont budge at all. I do recall I cleaned it out the day before it crapped out via air cans. But I do this every other month and never had a problem.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
just for giggles.. try to boot in safe mode. and please let us know if it loads windows. If so, either teh resolution is too high for the monitor, or there is a software or hardware issue which we can try to figure out once we know

sillysoft

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012

Tried that, no matter what I do I cant get that far. It just shuts down. The farthest I got was a split second windows splash screen, but other than that it wont last more than 5 seconds before just shutting down.

try this..boot into the bios and see if it stays up and see if you can read the mb temp from the bios health screen if the mb has on. if the system still shuts down. bear bone it..no power to any of the drives..remove all the extra cards just have the ram..gpu...connected. if it still shuts off start with the ps.

Solution

sillysoft

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
Forgot to update this thread, it got to the point the computer wouldnt even boot up long enough to get to the bios. So switched out the power supply and it works just fine now. Thanks everyone for the help!

SYED MUBARAK MEHDI

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017

SYED MUBARAK MEHDI

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
THERE MIGHT BE FEW ISSUES,

1. CHECK CMOS BATTERY ON MB, IF BATTERY IS WEEK THEN REPLACE IT AND CHECK.
2. GO TO BIOS SETTINGS AND CHECK WHICH BOOT DEVICE YOU HAVE SELECTED.
3. CHECK PSU IS WORKING PROPERLY, POWER IS SUPPLYING PROPERLY IN ALL THE CONNECTORS.
4. BOOTMGR MIGHT BE MISSING,
5. TRY TO LOAD IN SAFE MODE
6. REMOVE CD/DVD CABLE AND CHECK THE CABLES OF HDD ARE CONNECTED PROPERLY. AND TRY TO START THE PC ONCE-AGAIN.
7. TRY PUTTING SOME THERMAL PASTE ON PROCESSOR, SOMETIMES CZ OF HEATING PC GETS AUTO-SHUTDOWN.

HOPE ANY ONE OF THIS CAN HELP....

THANKS

SYED MUBARAK