Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GTX 660ti: EVGA vs. ASUS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 17, 2012 5:51:13 AM

Well, I am finally going to make the leap from a GTX 550ti to the new GTX 660ti!

I just can't decide between the EVGA GTX660ti FTW and the ASUS Direct CU II GTX660ti. I'm fine with both companies and I know their warranties and customer service are good. RMA won't be a pain as ASUS Headquarters is 15 min away and EVGA has their Headquarters 40 min away.

These are the cards I am deciding between:

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=02G-P4-366...

http://rog.asus.com/146022012/graphics-cards-2/asus-rel...

TOP or FTW?

NOTE: I am planning on watercooling one of these cards.

More about : gtx 660ti evga asus

August 17, 2012 6:30:37 AM

I think the asus one is 3 slot but I can't quite tell. Both cards are reliable, asus and evga are both pretty well respected. EVGA in general has better support. When I RMAed my EVGA 560ti I needed it soon. The guy I talked to went to the shipping room and had it get shipped that evening instead of the morning so I got it 3 days earlier (I got it on a friday) and any later would have been to late. But the ASUS one has better cooling because it has 2 fans instead of 1 and more advanced cooling as the cooler is two slots instead of one. This also makes it quieter as the fans don't have to work as hard. They are the same price on newegg ($300). Speaking of which I think you should buy off newegg instead of the manufacturer as it is $20 cheaper for the evga one on newegg, unless you have some reason for getting it directly from the manufacturer. In conclusion I think you should get asus one if you don't plan on doing sli as the 3 slot size might make that difficult because of how most motherboards are arranged. If you plan on sli down the road the I would go with evga.
Score
August 17, 2012 6:46:27 AM

I would go with the Asus, I'm using an Asus GTX 670 DCII top and have had no problems. Its dead silent and overclocks really nicely, also runs cooler at load than the EVGA design. If you choose Asus don't use GPU tweak, instead install EVGA's Precision X(It will recognize the card fine and allow you to overclock it.)

And the Asus is only a 2 slot card, it also comes with a backplate to help strengthen the GPU's PCB.

There really isn't a need for watercooling a GPU. I'm not sure what setup your going to use to watercool it, but most likely the GPU cooling block will be setup for reference design. And if it is for reference design then you have to go with the EVGA, the Asus is a custom design for better efficiency.

If your really going to water cool it, go with the EVGA.
However if you are ok with air cooling, go with the Asus. It will be silent because of its cooler you won't really know its there.
Score
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
August 17, 2012 6:55:39 AM

If you are going to water cool them, and want that overclock enthusiast card, wouldnt one want a MSI gtx 6x0? as their voltages tend to be the only ones that can truely be "unlocked" for enthusiast overclocking.

Also welcome to 1920x1080 resolution gaming?
Score
August 17, 2012 6:59:34 AM

Sadly it will be pointless to water-cool a 660Ti because of the memory bandwidth, even if he overclocks he will get bottleneck-ed with some settings :/ 
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 17, 2012 7:39:37 AM

dudewitbow said:
If you are going to water cool them, and want that overclock enthusiast card, wouldnt one want a MSI gtx 6x0? as their voltages tend to be the only ones that can truely be "unlocked" for enthusiast overclocking.

Also welcome to 1920x1080 resolution gaming?

How is MSI's Warranty, Customer Service, and RMA policy?

Does it really overclock that much better than the FTW or TOP edition card? I guess I'll wait for the waterblocks to come out :) 

BTW I've been on 1080P for a while too, looking to expand to multi-monitor sooner or later :ange: 
Score
August 17, 2012 7:59:36 AM

Oh multi-monitor, nice idea. :D  You will probably want a 670+ then if your going multi-monitor though.

I'm not sure how MSI's overclocking is, but MSI has nice quality components. I'm sure it performs on par with the others.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
August 17, 2012 8:06:14 AM

amuffin said:
How is MSI's Warranty, Customer Service, and RMA policy?

Does it really overclock that much better than the FTW or TOP edition card? I guess I'll wait for the waterblocks to come out :) 

BTW I've been on 1080P for a while too, looking to expand to multi-monitor sooner or later :ange: 

I cant say much entirely, But the only reason why I say so is because when Nvidia designed the Gtx 600 series, they purposely designed it with a max voltage lock on the cards. I believe MSI is the only company that openly allows for a full voltage unlocked GPU for enthusiasts to essentially show that their card can very be the best card in the Gtx 600 series(I think the voltage cap for gtx 6xx series cards was something like 1.175v?). (hence one of their special things about everyone using MSI afterburner, Msi cards usually have the option for unlocked voltages) which usually gives Msi the crown for best top tier card on the nvidia side as the MSI Gtx 680 lightning probably would be the best enthusiast overclocker.
Score
August 17, 2012 8:07:43 AM

Yeah but would he really need to increase the voltage that high to overclock to max potential?
Score
a b Î Nvidia
August 17, 2012 8:12:28 AM

jase240 said:
Yeah but would he really need to increase the voltage that high to overclock to max potential?

of course probably not, but voltage increasing is to allow a gpu to perform at a stable rate at higher clocks. if magically all higher clocks were stable on a good card, then ideally the only problem blocking one is heat. the limitation of Voltage choices as well as how badly the turbo boost functions with enthusiast overclocking is part of the reason why AMD cards tend to overclock better in enthusiasts hands.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 17, 2012 8:40:08 AM

How about reliability?

EVGA and ASUS have top tier service, how about MSI?
Score
August 17, 2012 8:45:33 AM

EVGA is definitely the best.It has a gsm Chipset which make the GDDR5 memory faster
Score
August 17, 2012 8:50:53 AM

Also the EVGA can be easily overclocked or superclocked.
Just increase the FAN speed to control the temps
Score
August 17, 2012 11:33:55 AM

Asus top model allow for voltage controls not unlocked and really has the best available cooling.
Score
August 17, 2012 1:18:30 PM

EVGA 660Ti FTW? Does it have the same cooler as the 680? OCed like the Superclocked?
Score
August 17, 2012 3:25:46 PM

I see evga is coming out with a GTX 660 TI with 3GB of memory
Score
August 17, 2012 3:39:08 PM

spentshells said:
Asus top model allow for voltage controls not unlocked and really has the best available cooling.

For the 670 models it seem to be a forum consensus Top>PE/OC>FTW, I don't see that changing with the 660Ti models as the custom cooler & Core/Boost Clock stat of these models are the same as the 670 models.
Score
August 17, 2012 4:58:15 PM

I would just go with the ASUS. They are the same price and the asus has really good cooling. But honestly you can't go wrong with either choice.
Score
March 22, 2013 4:51:27 PM

if ur planning on water cooling then asus dc2 would be a waste just get the evga and overclock once u install water cooling
Score
March 23, 2013 3:37:18 AM

I would get the Asus simply because it's a lot quieter and stays cooler then other 660ti and the user interface for OC is very user friendly. Unless you're going to OC to the max which in this case the MSI would beat the asus but can you really tell the difference o.O
Score
April 8, 2013 8:28:02 PM

I would get the asus, its much cooler

Score
April 25, 2013 6:14:23 PM

PEOPLE READ THE FREAKING QUESTION BEFORE YOU ANSWER HE IS GOING TO WATER COOL IT THE SOCK COOLER DON'T MATTER TO HIM
Score
May 6, 2013 1:13:11 PM

I usually don't dispute between technically the same GFX Cards, but I usually go with the Gigabyte and Asus cards because I have had good experiences with those, so I would recommend that you get the Asus version, but they are both really similar you probably won't notice the difference between them.
Score
a c 385 Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 6, 2013 1:28:12 PM

Two things:
1) The GTX 780 is due out on May 23rd, followed by the GTX 770 on May 30th, and the GTX 760 Ti in June.
2) EVGA offers their Step-Up program if you still wanted to buy a GTX 660 Ti and then step-up to a new 700 series card later this summer.
Score
May 11, 2013 6:30:23 PM

Well, I would say, go for Evga. A reliable brand.
Score
May 15, 2013 6:32:32 PM

Considering the ASUS TOP was discontinued, I'd go with the EVGA. The poster probably doesn't even read this thread anymore though.
Score
May 19, 2013 2:17:27 PM

Asus cards from what I know are usually better overclockers and they run very cool and quiet. But on the other hand EVGA's support is top of the line, and they have something called the step up program, which basically lets you upgrade your card to the next generation counterpart within 90 days of purchase (Im saying this because the 760 ti is only weeks from release). For that reason alone I would go EVGA ;) 
Score
May 20, 2013 9:22:45 AM

I would go with the TOP card if it will fit in your case. The FTW card simply comes factory overclocked, while with the TOP card you could overclock it even more than you would ever be able to with the FTW card.
Score
!