Solved

Best ATX board for under 120?

I'm making a new build, are there any good full ATX board for under 120? Does a micro ATX doesn't make much of a difference?

Thanks!
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about best board
  1. which cpu. more specifically, i should ask which LGA/AM#/FM#
  2. dudewitbow said:
    which cpu. more specifically, i should ask which LGA/AM#/FM#

i5 - 3550, and I'm new to this, what is LGA/AM#/FM#/ ?
  3. cpu socket, because there is no point in giving you an amd board when you have a intel processor for lga 1155. which is the reason why I asked

as for recommendation:

MSI z77 g45

I dont know why this is labeled at 110$? This mobo is normally sitting around 130$ as it fits in line with the mobos that have access to both SLI/Crossfire which lower end boards dont have.(at least on the sli side)

albeit you cant overclock that i5-3550, the board at 110$ isnt that bad.

edit: overclock fully, it can however do turbo levels
  4. dudewitbow said:
    cpu socket, because there is no point in giving you an amd board when you have a intel processor for lga 1155. which is the reason why I asked

as for recommendation:

MSI z77 g45

I dont know why this is labeled at 110$? This mobo is normally sitting around 130$ as it fits in line with the mobos that have access to both SLI/Crossfire which lower end boards dont have.(at least on the sli side)

albeit you cant overclock that i5-3550, the board at 110$ isnt that bad.

edit: overclock fully, it can however do turbo levels

what can I overclock with? I was looking into this : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157297
  5. _s0ap said:
    what can I overclock with? I was looking into this : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157297

with a non k series intel chip, the most you can overclock is up to the turbo limit on the cpu(and a tiny bit more if you did a blck method which isnt recommended). boards still have the ability to overclock gpu though. the only reason why i recommended the msi g45 was that it gains both the ability to SLI and Crossfire in 8x/8x mode for the cost. if you dont ever plan to crossfire/sli then its negligable. all other boards cheaper than it will not be able to sli(if you have an nvidia card) but can crossfire only in 16x/4x mode. Since i really dont have an idea of what you actually want on your motherboard(as you can go really cheap or really expensive depending on what you want on it). There isnt a really definitive answer to that.
  6. dudewitbow said:
    with a non k series intel chip, the most you can overclock is up to the turbo limit on the cpu(and a tiny bit more if you did a blck method which isnt recommended). boards still have the ability to overclock gpu though. the only reason why i recommended the msi g45 was that it gains both the ability to SLI and Crossfire in 8x/8x mode for the cost. if you dont ever plan to crossfire/sli then its negligable. all other boards cheaper than it will not be able to sli(if you have an nvidia card) but can crossfire only in 16x/4x mode. Since i really dont have an idea of what you actually want on your motherboard(as you can go really cheap or really expensive depending on what you want on it). There isnt a really definitive answer to that.

I dont plan to crossfire or SLI. I want to keep my future build below 800, and lower if possible. without the mobo, I'm at $701.
  7. Best answer
    below $800 i would build something like this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3550 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.44 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $755.37
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

i would just torrent win7 to save some
  8. boulbox said:
    below $800 i would build something like this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3550 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.44 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $755.37
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

i would just torrent win7 to save some

Thank you! i tweaked it a bit, show to a 630W PSU, and different GPU, but thank you!
  9. Best answer selected by _s0ap.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build ATX New Build Systems Product