AMD FX-8350 Vishera Problem

rthally94

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Hi! I'm having trouble getting my AMD FX-8350 Vishera Black Edition to work with Windows 7. Currently the CPU is not OC'd. Windows begins to boot and then the computer reboots at the windows logo. Safe mode works fine. I managed to check all the other hardware with the old Athlon II x4 and everything works fine including regular boot. I have updated the bios for the GA-990FXA-UD5. I have found the patch for the FX series but it does not mention support for the piledriver series of CPU's. I'm not sure if I have missed something in the setup. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 (rev. 1)
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition (Vishera)
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GBx2
Graphics: Asus HD7770 1GB G2
PSU: 650W Coolmax

rthally94

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks so much for your reply! I just tried the reset. Same problem. Also I'd like to add that my windows 7 installer on a flash drive created with the tool form Microsoft does the same as the installation of Windows. Last time I tried to to a repair from the install drive, I got an error stating that the system could not be repaired because there was a mismatch between the boot drive and installer drive os versions. I've built and troubleshooted many computers, but this one has me stumped.

rthally94

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks everyone for your reply!

@seinfeld: Your post confused me a bit. Should the HDD be in AHCI or IDE mode?

@smorizio: I double checked the ram at it's stock speed is 1600MHz, instead of your listed 1333. Would under-clocking the ram help?

A little more backgound on the build. This computer is a complete rebuild HDD and all after a motherboard failed on the old computer. I figured it would be better to get something more powerful instead of getting a new micro-atx mobo.

Last night I used the old Athlon to get a fresh Windows copy installed because the other was installed from the installer's Safe Mode. Now that it's done i've got to pick up more thermal paste after all this processor back and forth.

Another symptom I should mention is that the boot time during post becomes incredibly long, usually lasting anywhere between 4-8 minutes before the single beep. It commonly requires me to load defaults or the last working setting for the BIOS. This happens after any forced restart from any lock up the system had. I feel like some progress has been made. Before I switched CPU's to the Athlon to install windows, I used the FX to boot the installer. Instead of just hitting the windows logo and bombing, it now freezes sometimes with the animation playing and sometimes not.

Thanks again for everyone's help!!

Ryan

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
If safe mode works fine it is most likely a driver issue. Safe mode loads basic drivers but skips things like printers graphics, sound and so on reverting them to windows own drivers.

Have you tried using your windows disk to fix problems starting windows? Sometimes when you replace hardware windows needs to install new or different drivers for that hardware. This is especially true when you replace a motherboard or processor with one using different standards or calculations.

In order to do this repair, insert a windows disk and boot from it. Select your OS and choose diagnose problems starting windows. The repair should only take 10-15 minutes and after it is done your system will work.

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
It's not the RAM. Once again if it works in safe mode it is a driver issue. He just upgrade the Processor and MOBO it appears and windows doesn't recognize the processor as the one configured. Running in safe mode loads generic drivers that work on most hardware. If he couldn't get into safe mode then it would be ram possibly, but since he can it is not the Ram.

Ram timing is controlled by the bios, he already reset the Bios which he shouldn't have needed to do in the first place and it fixed nothing.

rthally94

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks everyone for you replies!

@adamv1: I agree that the RAM is not the issue. I ram MEMTEST and it came in clean. The whole computer was rebuilt. I ordered everything except a disc drive in which I stole from the old computer. I'm pretty sure it's not a driver issue. I have the same problem trying to boot windows during an installation. When using the old Athlon it works fine.

rthally94

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
We are trying to do a new install. I used the old CPU to complete the installation because the fx would not boot the installer except in Safe Mode. The only thing on the HDD is a fresh installation of windows and the motherboard and gpu drivers.

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

bios F-10 Supports fx 8350

AMD FX-8350 4000MHz 1MBx8 8MB Vishera 32nm C0 125W 5200 F10
AMD FX-8320 3500MHz 1MBx8 8MB Vishera 32nm C0 125W 5200 F10
AMD FX-8300 3300MHz 1MBx8 8MB Vishera 32nm C0 95W 5200 F11

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Can it be a bad CPU ? Are all the pind straight ? I had a 1090 with same kind of problem , tracked down to some bent pins so it did not mount 100% . Not saying that's your problem , but seems every thing else is okay .
Good luck

seinfeld

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
when you installed windows was the sata mode on AHCI or IDE or Raid mode? because if it is reverted to bios standard it goes back to IDE mode. and this causes windows to blue screen during the loading phase. so try all 3 settings to see if it corrects :) I would bet it was on AHCI mode (its the fastest mode for single drives as it enables NCQ and command queing) . if you dont want to bother. just set it to ahci and re install windows 7