Entry Level Web Machine (For a 12 Yr Old)

Approximate Purchase Date: Friday October 12, 2012

Budget Range: 300-400 After Rebates; Before Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Internet, and games like minecraft. Will mostly be used by a 12 Year old

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: New Build/From scratch; Already have Keyboard, Mouse, and Monitor

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: I like whatever has the best price/performance.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024

Additional Comments: I would like a quiet PC, that will play Minecraft and Minor games. Something that I can upgrade with a GPU in the future to play more hard core games. Also I was thinking about going for a small micro ATX type build, will that save me some money going that route?

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Currently using a 10 year old pre-built.......its horrible.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, this is an amazing community!!!
11 answers Last reply
More about entry level machine
  1. Quickly building a budget build on pcpartpicker.com....
  2. -http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/jMZP
    It's not a lot, but it can handle minecraft and web browsing nicely. I did go over the price limit by $25, but it's worth it. The CPU has a locked multiplier, meaning it can't be overclocked. It won't have play demanding games like skyrim, metro 2033, or bf3, but it might be able to run mw3 and diablo 3 on low settings. (I have no clue) It will be a pain to upgrade, and the stock cpu cooler that comes with the cpu should be enough. Or you could spend $100 more and get this. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-overclocking-pc-building,3273.html
    Anyway, the build I gave you will suffice for web browsing and minecraft. And for minecraft it will handle texture packs up to about 64x64. Sorry for long post and I will be back tomorrow!
  3. And yes the build you posted is enough. But I would recommend a dedicated graphics card if your going to be doing gaming heavier then minecraft. 4 gigs is enough for web browsing and minecraft. 8 gigs of ram is overkill unless you're going to be playing stuff like skyrim and bf3.
  4. For a 1280x1024 monitor, and light gaming, Trinity build should be fine.
  5. Sorry for so many posts but the build you got is really good. Really. Forget my build and go with yours. But I would go 25-50 dollars over your limit and get a gfx card like a Geforce Evga Gt 620 or a Radeon HD 6570.
  6. I HIGHLY suggest you don't get lanos/FM1. It is a dead socket, and trinity/FM2 is available for a few bucks more, and perform better. Use that $30. Skip the dedicated gpu, you can go hybrid crossfire if needed later.

You could probably get a similar or better prebuilt at your budget, but building it with your child would be totally worth it.

(i shudder at a 12 year old having an "internet machine" though, just me)
  7. 3850 is 84.99 with this code... EMCJNNE37

windows 7 oem 64bit is 79.99 with this code..... EMCYTZT2319

but because I got here late and the sale I think was only 24hrs you might miss it..... don't know but worth the try.
  8. I'd say a laptop.
  9. amuffin said:
    I'd say a laptop.

+1
  10. unksol said:
    (i shudder at a 12 year old having an "internet machine" though, just me)

lol...he will not be using it for internet i will, my 12 Yr old will be using it for Minecraft and the like.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product