Spontaneous crash while playing Mw3 Multiplayer.

railpressureflip

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Hey guys,

I've recently started playing multiplayer on Modern Warfare 3 and I get very spontaneous crashes. The sound shutters for a second and then the screen goes blank and then the system freezes. Well, it's not exactly spontaneous, I believe it happens after about 20-25 minutes of continuous playing. My best guess is that it's either the GPU or the CPU overheats.
Everything is at stock level. I've never had an overheating issue before.
Also, no BSOD either. Just a sudden freeze with a shutter sound.

Here are my PC specs:

CPU: Core i7 2700k LGA 1155
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68 pro Gen 3
GPU: 2x Gigabyte GTX570 in SLI
PSU: SilverStone Strider Gold 1200W
Memory: 4x 4 Corsair 1600C9 Vengeance sticks (16G)
Case: Corsair 600Tm White edition
HDDs: 2x 1TB Western Digital 5400 RPM

Any help is appreciated!
Thank you!

Hi, have you tried monitoring the CPU/GPU temps with a program like Hardware Monitor?
Hardware Monitor records the maximum temperature of most of the components in your PC, so I'm suggesting that you install Hardware Monitor, play MW3 Multi-player for perhaps 15 minutes (before it freezes) then close MW3 and check the maximum temperatures in Hardware Monitor.

Do you get the same issue in other games or not?

And have you tried MW3 with SLI disabled?

You may also want to check in Windows event viewer to see if it lists any useful information about the crash/freeze.

Well I thought from reading your original message that there may have been a compatibility issue with MW3 and SLI but if it's a problem with the computer then it should happen with every game.

Have you checked the temps under load like I suggested before?

Any overclocks at all?

Is your RAM running at its rated speed, timings and voltage?

railpressureflip

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
So, I was playing Deus Ex earlier today and BAM!
Did not expect that, but the same thing happened.

Going to install the temperature software you suggested.

No overclocking whatsoever. Ram should be running on stock speed, did not change any thing there!

railpressureflip

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011

So I had the Hardware monitor running and I played the game for 15 minutes.
But how on Earth am I meant to check it while gaming? I don't know when it overheats and when it doesn't. Sometimes it goes for about 30 minutes easy!

I mean, does this have an event logger or something? It's the ONLY way I'd know about the temperature. :S
Or any software that would log the temperature changes? Because the computer crashes completely. Completely!

Latest posts