Laptop sound not working. Tried many things already.

Sony Vaio S, VPCSB28FJ
Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
Audio: Realtek, Dolby

This problem occurred after I unattached the top section of the laptop.

Sound does not work even with volume maxed out.
I have tried connecting a working headphone to the unit and there is no sound to be heard on the headphone.
Volume icon has no red X on it and the volume bar (green bar) does jump when I click on the rocker in software.

The only time the sound works is when I connect a HDMI cable from the laptop to the TV.

I've already made sure the software/driver has been installed for this unit.
5 answers Last reply
More about laptop sound working things already
  1. Did you check to make sure that there are no loose connections before you reattached the top section of the laptop?
  2. Yes I did.

Is sound chip or whatever it's called that controls the audio on the laptop integrated with the motherboard? I tried using the top section (with all the speakers and audio port boards) with a similar unit and it works fine. So it has to be something with the bottom portion.
  3. My guess, since it is a laptop, is that the sound controller is integrated onto the motherboard. You could try something like this from NewEgg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102025&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Sound+Cards-_-N82E16829102025&gclid=CMb1ttmGzrUCFQk4nAodnDgANw if you cannot find a solution to the sound problem.
  4. Ken, you are right! I just came to the exact conclusion today but decided to purchase a new motherboard... and man is it expensive - $210 since it is for a newer model laptop.

I should buy a soundcard instead I guess.
  5. Yeah, the laptop motherboards are not inexpensive. If you are not confident you can replace it yourself you will pay about the price of a new one between the cost of the motherboard and paying someone to install it. The less expensive option is the sound card.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Laptops Components Product