Check this NAS build and RAID help

pratstercs

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
I want to make a new NAS/home server. I don't need it to do much: fileserver and few programs including Transmission (for sharing media projects with the team). I just want it as cheap as possible.
How's this for a build: https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/VA5P...KmfuvkwiMiBw,,
If anyone can suggest cheaper/missing parts or incompatibilities, that'd be perfect

Second question: I have a 1TB hard drive, and ideally I'd use this in connection with a larger drive, 2 or 3 TB. Could I RAID 0 2x1TB drives and RAID 1 those with the 2TB drive, to create 2TB storage with redundancy?
What is possible with ZFS? I've heard good things but don't know enough about it?

Thanks!

pratstercs

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
Aren't RAID controllers quite expensive though (specially as I want this build to come in under £100, not including hard drives)?

Thanks

Well the raid controller onboard is only really good for 2 drives in raid 1 or raid 0 if you ask me. i would usually suggest getting a proper raid controllers for raid 5 or raid 6 configurations since raid controllers help with performance and would allow you to easily switch raid configurations and add drives to the drive pool