peterben

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
I recently bought a Chaintech 7vjda board and AMD XP1800 processor. I swapped these parts out with the Chaintech board and AMD processor I had before.

When trying to boot into WinXP I would get a black screen, so I tried booting off the WinXP CDROM - all seemed to work fine (loading files etc) until setup tried to run. I read somewhere that XP may not recognise the hardware, to update the BIOS and disable any unnessary devices. I've done all this with no success.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm desperate for any help or answers.

Thanks,
Peter

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
i experienced this. I have an epox 8kha+. When i flashed the bios everything worked like a charm. The rest of my hardware is quite new so that helped i'm sure.

Try flashing bios again? check the date of the new bios and the revision history to see if anything about xp is noted.

-- There are no answers to find in the bottom of a glass. But you can have fun looking for them.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had troubles uping to XP Pro and I was told to copy the I386 folder from the CD to the C drive and run setup from there.

I know enuff to be dangerous. :tongue:

jamdev12

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
Tell me something. Does the machine go into safe mode, but will not load into normal mode or it will not load at all in any mode. Please let us know. I had a problem like this occur to me today and I found out how to fix it.

My name may be Jesus, but don't go around asking for miracles.

davidlovatt

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2002
Hi, I am currently experiencing the same problem so if you did get it fixed, i'd pay good money to find out how. Can you drop me an e-mail to david.lovatt@unidirect.co.uk to let me know any results you have....pulling my hair out here.

See below:

I bought this motherboard over the web last week.

I have :

NVidia AGP TNT2 Graphics card, 32mb onboard

DDR333 (PC2700)

Excel Stor 40Mb HDD

AMD XP1700 CPU
I have taken everything else (DVD etc.. off the system)

I cannot setup windows, it crashes with various (and differing) STOP errors.

Win XP builds the list of files to be copied, then crashes as it starts to copy them.

It crashed, though, at different occassions and on one occasion it copied 100% of the files and crashed when it restarted.

Some of the errors include “IRQL not equal or less”, or “page fault in non paged area”.

I changed the HDD and the same things happen.

I returned the memory to the shop and it tested fine.

I removed everything but the very barest of CD-ROMs and the problems still persist.

The Win XP disk is Home Edition OEM, came with previous system. (replacing that with this one).

The BIOS does not have options to disable caching or shadowing as the error message suggests.

I have tried various BIOS options including fail safe and optimzed…….still the same.

I moved the hard drive to another machine and setup win XP on that one, which worked fined. I moved the HDD over to the new machine. It booted, then restarted at various times once logged into winxp.

I switched off autorestart to view the error, and it was in windows sub system.

Not sure what to do now, I think the motherboard is faulty (microsoft newsgroup MS prof suggestion).

HELP!!!

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
<b><i>I returned the memory to the shop and it tested fine.</i></b>

Be wary if the shop tested the RAM on dedicated RAM testing equipment. I've had to return RAM to local suppliers a few times, the sticks always tested fine on their equipment, and always failed when I persuaded the guys to try them in a PC.

Just a thought, given the 'page fault' errors you are getting.

I would also try installing a different version of Windows before assuming a hardware fault. Can you get a copy of WIN 98' or 2000 perhaps?

TRENDING THREADS